Friday 7 July 2006
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican). In that special week of July people in US were listening to Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado.
In UK Hips Don't Lie by Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean was in the top 5 hits.
Oborona Sevastopolya, directed by Vasili Goncharov, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2006
while Wisdom of Our Fathers by Tim Russert was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 7 July 2006!
Which were the important events of 7 July 2006 ?
- Russia and Ukraine - Ivan Kupala
- United Kingdom - July 7th Bombings remembrance day
- Bhutan - Guru Rinpoche
- Roman Empire - Nonae Caprotinae festival in honor of Juno
- Tanzania - Saba Saba Day (or Peasants' Day, founding of the TANU party, 1954)
- Solomon Islands - Independence Day (1978)
- Spain - San Fermfn festival or running of the bulls, in Pamplona, Navarre.
- Worldwide - Bungie Day
- United States - Bonza bottler day
- Japan - Tanabata
- Tennyson Crowe: Australian noted family, the second child and second son of actor Russell Crowe and his wife Danielle Spencer Crowe.
- Disney releases the film Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest to theaters in the USA. Opening weekend gross revenue: US$135.6 million, a new record.
- Craigslist is sued because of illegal posts to that website. Amazon, eBay, AOL, Yahoo, and Google all file briefs as friends of the court in support of Craigslist. (NPR News)
- Ayman al Zawahri, deputy of al-Qaeda claims that two of the London bombers trained with al-Qaeda on a video posted on a website. The two men he identified as training with them are Shehzad Tanweer and Mohammad Sidique Khan. (Sydney Morning Herald)
- Polish Prime Minister Kazimierz Marcinkiewicz has resigned. His party Law and Justice has recommended the post be taken over by its chairman Jarosław Kaczyński, who is the identical twin brother of President Lech Kaczyński. BBC News
- The board of General Motors authorises Chief Executive Officer Rick Wagoner to explore an alliance with Nissan and Renault. (Bloomberg)
- Japan circulates a new United Nations Security Council draft resolution including the threat of sanctions against North Korea. (Guardian)
- For the second time this week, Dublin Airport's main terminal is evacuated. This occurred when airport security was notified of a strange bag in the Arrivals Area of the airport terminal shortly before 08:00 (IST). A controlled explosion of the bag was carried out by the Army. The airport reopened just over two hours later, though 60 flights and 12,000 passengers were affected. ( RTÉ News)
- Typhoon Ewiniar nears landfall on the southern island chain of Okinawa, Japan. The typhoon packs winds 160 km, 99 mi, per hour. Japan's Meteorological Agency warns of flooding on the island and the storm to move across South Korea over the weekend. (Reuters)
- Iran's president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, warns of an ampquotexplosionampquot in the Islamic world and it would target Israel and its supporters in the Western world, if Israel doesn't cease its activity in the Gaza Strip. Ahmadinejad said during a rally in Tehran that, ampquotThis (Israel) is a fake regime ... it won't be able to survive. I think the only way (forward) is that those who created it (the West) take it away themselves.ampquot (Associated Press)
- The FBI announces that a plot to bomb the Holland Tunnel and flood Lower Manhattan with water has been foiled. (''Daily News'')
- An explosion in the village of Dongzhai village in Shanxi province in north China kills 43 people. (ABC News US)
- Israeli-Palestinian conflict (Operation Summer Rains):
- Three Israeli civilians are wounded when a Qassam rocket lands in a basketball court in Sderot. More than fifteen rockets land in Israeli towns on Friday, in spite of an Israeli raid in the northern Gaza Strip. (Haaretz)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 2006 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?