Thursday 6 August 1914
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
The Call of the North, directed by Oscar Apfel, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 August 1914!
Which were the important events of 6 August 1914 ?
- Jamaica - Independence Day
- Roman Catholicism - several feasts, including those of at least 3 saints: Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ
- St. Joachim (father of St. Mary, according to Catholic tradition)
- St. Juatus
- St. Pastor
- Bolivia - Independence Day
- United Arab Emirates - H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan's Accession Day
- Japan - Toro Nagashi (Hiroshima) - Floating lantern ceremony to honor those killed by the U.S. atomic bomb in Hiroshima.
- St. Xystus/Sixtus
- Gordon Freeth: Australian lawyer and politician 24th Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs (d. 2001).
- Susan Cowdy: Ornithologist.
- Arthur Charles Dobson: British racing driver (d. 1980).
- Jean Roux: Commercy physician.
- Benedict Nicolson: British art historian and author, who was the elder son of authors Harold Nicolson and Vita Sackville-West and the brother of writer and politician Nigel.
- Ellen Wilson: 1st lady (1913-14), dies at 54.
- Austria-Hungary declares war on Russia and Serbia
- French cavalry enter Belgium
- German Zeppelin bombs Liege City, 9 killed
- World War I: First Battle of the Atlantic : two days after the United Kingdom had declared war on Germany over the German invasion of Belgium, ten German U-boats leave their base in Helgoland to attack Royal Navy warships in the North Sea.
- Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition leaves British waters.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1914 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- When It's Moonlight on the Alamo - Peerless Quartet
- Kitty McKay - Prince's Orchestra
- When the Angelus is Ringing - Lyric Quartet
- Gems from High Jinks - Victor Light Opera Co.
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in August 1914?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 6 August 1914 and get them!