Wednesday 10 April 1968
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Honey by Bobby Goldsboro.
In UK What A Wonderful World / Cabaret by Louis Armstrong was in the top 5 hits.
The Young Girls of Rochefort, directed by Jacques Demy, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while The Confessions Of Nat Turner by William Styron was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 10 April 1968!
Which were the important events of 10 April 1968 ?
- Metin Göktepe: Turkish photographer and journalist (d. 1996).
- Orlando Jones: American actor and comedian.
- Gustavs Celmins: Latvian politician (Born 1899).
- George M! opens at Palace Theater NYC for 435 performances
- 40th Academy Awards - Heat of the Night, Rod Steiger and Katharine Hepburn win.
- US performs nuclear test at Nevada Test Site.
- Shipwreck of the New Zealand inter-island ferry TEV Wahine outside Wellington harbour.
- Josef Bachmann tries to assassinate Rudi Dutschke, leader of the left-wing movement (APO) in Germany, and tries to commit suicide afterwards, failing in both, although Dutschke dies of his brain injuries 11 years later.
- German left-wing students blockade the Springer Press HQ in Berlin and many are arrested (one of them Ulrike Meinhof).
- U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1968.
- Pierre Trudeau becomes Canada's 15th Prime Minister.
- English politician Enoch Powell makes his controversial Rivers of Blood Speech.
- MGM's classic film ''The Wizard of Oz'' makes its NBC debut after being telecast on CBS since 1956. It will remain on NBC for the next eight years.
- President Mobutu releases captured mercenaries in the Congo.
- Surgeons at the Hôpital de la Pitié, Paris, perform Europe's first heart transplant, on Clovis Roblain.
- The United Methodist Church is created by the union of the former Methodist and Evangelical United Brethren churches.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bobby Goldsboro - Honey
- Otis Redding - (Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay
- Union Gap - Young Girl
- The Box Tops - Cry Like A Baby
- The Monkees - Valleri
- The Beatles - Lady Madonna
- The Delfonics - La - La Means I Love You
- Aretha Franklin - (Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone
- Georgie Fame - The Ballad Of Bonnie And Clyde
- Manfred Mann - Mighty Quinn (Quinn The Eskimo)
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 10 April 1968 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?