It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
- The Outlaw
directed by Howard Hughes
starring: Jack Buetel, Thomas Mitchell, Jane Russell
- All the King's Men
directed by Robert Rossen
starring: Broderick Crawford, John Ireland, Joanne Dru
- The Inspector General
directed by Henry Koster
starring: Danny Kaye, Walter Slezak, Barbara Bates
- Whisky Galore
directed by Alexander Mackendrick
starring: Basil Radford, Joan Greenwood, Catherine Lacey
- Samson and Delilah
directed by Cecil B. DeMille
starring: Hedy Lamarr, Victor Mature, George Sanders
Send him/her your special wishes with this personalized page
Which were the important events of Wednesday, 11 January 1950 ?
- Morocco - The Independence manifesto day.
- Japan - Kagami-Biraki (Rice Cakes Festival).
- Feast of the Baptism of Jesus.
- Roman Empire - First day of Carmentalia in honor of Carmenta.
- Nepal - Unity Day.
- Albania - Republic Day (1946).
Famous People died
- Huk guerrillas manhandle the town of Hermosa, Bataan in the Philippines.
- The British submarine ''Truculent'' collides with a Swedish oil tanker in the Thames Estuary and sinks 64 die.
- Cold War: U.S. Secretary of State Dean Acheson delivers his 'Perimeter Speech', outlining the boundary of U.S. security guarantees.
: Writer, dies at 77
What news were making the headlines those days in January 1950 ?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
One On The House
by Mary Lasswell
Flat broke at the end of their stay in New York City, Mrs. Feeley, Mrs. Rasmussen, and Miss Tinkham can only make it as far as New Jersey on their voyage [...]
The Woman Of Rome
by Alberto Moravia
The glitter and cynicism of Rome under Mussolini provide the background of what is probably Alberto Moravia’s best and best-known novel — The Woman of Rome. [...]
Let Love Come Last
by Taylor Caldwell
Even when William made it clear he had married her only for offspring. . . Even when, brutally overriding her refined sensibility, he imprisoned her in a mansion of overwhelming opulence, [...]
The Dream Merchants
by Harold Robbins
A sensational, behind-the-scenes story of the motion picture business - and the people who created it. Lured by the sweet smell of money and adventure, pioneer movie-makers pushed west to speculate [...]
Tell the world why Wednesday, 11 January 1950 is such a special date for you!