Thursday 13 October 2011
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of October people in US were listening to Someone Like You by Adele.
The Artist, directed by Michel Hazanavicius, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Carnation.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing 3D Pixel Racing or Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 13 October 2011!
Which were the important events of 13 October 2011 ?
- RC Saints - translation (1163) of Saint Edward the Confessor; memorial of Saint Gerald of Aurillac
- Roman festivals - Fontanalia: festival dedicated to Fontus
- French Republican Calendar - POche (Peach) Day, twenty-second day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Also see October 13 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- John Peel Day - A day celebrating the life and influence of the late John Peel.
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 13 October
- A US drone attack in Pakistan's North Waziristan region destroys a Haqqani network militant compound, with four people reported killed. (AFP via Google News)
- At least 16 people are killed by twin bomb blasts in the Sadr City neighbourhood of Baghdad, the capital of Iraq. (BBC)
- The King of Bhutan, Jigme Khesar Namgyal Wangchuck, marries 21-year-old college student Jetsun Pema in Punakha. (AP via MSNBC)
- Qantas passengers in Australia face long delays and flight cancelations, as another strike by the airline's ground crew begins. (News Limited)
- At least 88 containers fall from the stricken cargo ship into the Bay of Plenty off New Zealand's North Island, including one containing the (AFP via SBS News Australia)
- Vietnam's Mekong River delta suffers its worst flooding in a decade, with 43 people killed and 70,000 homes destroyed. (AP via ''Washington Post'')
- An earthquake measuring 6 on the Richter scale hits off the coast of the Indonesian island of Bali, injuring at least 50 people and causing significant property damage. (AP via ''USA Today'')
- The President of South Korea, Lee Myung-bak, gives an address to a joint session of the United States Congress, emphasizing the importance of a recently-concluded free trade deal between South Korea and the United States, and expounding the need to improve relations with North Korea. (Yonhap)
- Sri Lankan-American Raj Rajaratnam, a former hedge fund tycoon, is sentenced to 11 years in jail for insider trading. (Reuters)
- The first results of the Liberian general election are due to be announced, with a runoff election likely in the presidential race between incumbent President and Nobel Peace Prize laureate Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and ex-diplomat Winston Tubman. (VOA)
- The Parliament of Slovakia passes a law providing for a parliamentary election on March 10, as part of a deal to allow the passage of the European Union's European Financial Stability Fund. (Xinhua)
- Researchers at the Universities of Texas, Wollongong, British Columbia and Hanyang announce that they have collaboratively developed carbon nanotube-based artificial muscle fibers with over 1,000 times the rotational power of previous designs. The invention is expected to have applications in the creation of nanoscale motors and electrical systems. (Science Daily)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?