Friday 14 September 1934
It was Friday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hans Faverey and Kate Millett in Saint Paul.
Belle of the Nineties, directed by Leo McCarey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1934
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 September 1934!
Which were the important events of 14 September 1934 ?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Hans Faverey: Dutch poet.
- Kate Millett in Saint Paul: Minnesota, YSA; feminist/author (Sexual Politics).
- Kate Millett: American writer and artist, radical feminist leader noted for lecturing and writing extensively on behalf of feminine liberation.
- Carroll Saine: American administrator and CEO of Central Fidelity Banks, an innovative banking institution that stresses personal service and teamwork.
- Don Walser: American country music singer, songwriter and guitarist known as a unique, award-winning yodeling "Texas country music legend.
- Henri Grange: France sport Champion
- Jean-Claude Riber: Mulhouae EXecutives
- Sarah Kofman: French philosopher and academic (d. 1994)
- Bob Maguire: Australian priest and radio host
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?