Monday 16 July 1956
It was Monday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK I'll Be Home by Pat Boone was in the top 5 hits.
High Society, directed by Charles Walters, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while The Last Hurrah by Edwin O'Connor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 July 1956!
Which were the important events of 16 July 1956 ?
- Botswana - President's Day (2nd day)
- Catholic - Feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel
- Tony Kushner: American writer, the winner of a Pulitzer Prize in 1993 for his groundbreaking play "Angels in America.
- Jerry Doyle: American radio host and actor.
- Detroit Tigers and Briggs Stadium sold for then record $5.5 million
- King Faisal of Iraq begins visit to England
- Karelo-Finnish SSR becomes part of Russian SFSR.
- Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus closes its very last ''Big Tent'' show in Pittsburgh, due to changing economics all subsequent circus shows will be held in arenas.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of July 1956 ?
Top #5 songs in the UK
- Pat Boone - I'll Be Home
- Teenagers featuring Frankie Lymon - Why Do Fools Fall In Love
- Elvis Presley - Heartbreak Hotel
- All Star Hit Parade (EP) - Various Artists
- I'm Walking Backwards For Christmas / Bluebottle Blues - The Goons
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?