Friday 17 May 1974
It was Friday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Marcia Turner in Cambridge and Wiki Gonzalez.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to The Streak by Ray Stevens.
In UK Sugar Baby Love by The Rubettes was in the top 5 hits.
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, directed by Michael Cimino, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1974
while Watership Down by Richard Adams was one of the best selling books.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Qwak! or Tank.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1974.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 May 1974!
Which were the important events of 17 May 1974 ?
- Norwegian Constitution Day or Syttende Mai.
- Dfa das Letras Galegas ("Galician Literature Day") ? holiday in Galicia, honouring the Galician language.
- Bah�'f Faith ? Feast of 'Azaamat (Grandeur) ? First day of the fourth month of the Bah�'f Calendar.
- Saint Paschal Baylon or Pascal Baylon
- Saint Montanus
- Saint Dietmar
- Saint Pamphamer
- International Day Against Homophobia aka IDAHO
- Saint Pamphalon
- Saint Solochon
- Saint Adrian of Alexandria
- Marcia Turner in Cambridge: Massachusetts, USA; Miss America (Massachusetts-Top 10-1996).
- Wiki Gonzalez: Venezuelan baseball player.
- Andrea Corr: Irish singer-songwriter pianist and actress (The Corrs).
- Wiki González: Venezuelan baseball player.
- Eddie Lewis: American football (soccer) player.
- Dmitri Shostakovitch completes his 15th String quartet
- Police in Los Angeles, California, raid the Symbionese Liberation Army's headquarters, killing six members, including Camilla Hall.
- Dublin and Monaghan bombings: Thirty-three civilians are killed when the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) explodes car bombs in Dublin and Monaghan, Republic of Ireland.
- Nuclear test: Under Project Smiling Buddha, India successfully detonates its first nuclear weapon, becoming the 6th nation to do so.
- The Warsaw radio mast is completed, the second tallest structure ever built (it collapses on August 8, 1991).
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1974 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Ray Stevens - The Streak
- Jackson 5 - Dancing Machine
- Marvin Hamlisch - The Entertainer
- Grand Funk - The Loco-Motion
- Three Dog Night - The Show Must Go On
- Elton John - Bennie And The Jets
- Paul McCartney - Band On The Run
- Maria Muldaur - Midnight At The Oasis
- Chicago - (I've Been) Searchin' So Long
- The Stylistics - You Make Me Feel Brand New
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?