Saturday 17 October 2009
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Down by Jay Sean.
Nathan der Weise, directed by Manfred Noa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 October 2009!
Which were the important events of 17 October 2009 ?
- R.C. Saints - Saint Ignatius of Antioch; translation of Saint Audrey (�thelthryth); Saint Richard Gwyn
- United States - Black Poetry Day
- UN International Day for the Eradication of Poverty
- French Republican Calendar - Aubergine (Eggplant) Day, twenty-sixth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Haiti - Jean-Jacques Dessalines (1806), State holiday
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 October
- Vic Mizzy: American composer (themes to Green Acres and The Addams Family) (Born 1916).
- Czech President Václav Klaus compares the Treaty of Lisbon to ampquotan unstoppable speeding trainampquot that he is being forced to sign. (BBC)
- A report into dumping of toxic waste by Trafigura in Côte d'Ivoire is published. (BBC)
- Two police officers are killed after their police helicopter is shot down by drug gangs in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Ten drug traffickers were also killed in the violence. (Al Jazeera)
- The sheriff in Fort Collins, Colorado advises that criminal charges will be laid over the balloon boy hoax. (Sky News)
- The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) imposes an arms embargo on Guinea after the deaths of opposition supporters at a rally last month. (Reuters)
- A South Korean legislator claims North Korea is holding 154,000 of its citizens in gulags. (BBC)
- A Colombian military official claims that eight FARC guerrillas and five Colombian army soldiers have been killed in heavy fighting in Cauca Department. (AFP via Google News)
- Iran frees ''Newsweek'' reporter Maziar Bahari on bail after four months in detention following the disputed presidential election. (Associated Press)
- More than one million anti-abortion protesters march through Madrid in one of the largest demonstrations since 2003 and 2004 anti-war protests. (Reuters India)
- Thousands of fans, celebrities and politicians attend the funeral of Boyzone singer Stephen Gately in Dublin. (ABC News)
- 30,000 troops from the Pakistan Army begin an offensive operation against the Taliban and their allies in South Waziristan. (BBC)
- The government of the Maldives, including President Mohamed Nasheed, holds the world's first underwater Cabinet meeting, to highlight the threat of global warming. (BBC)
- 32 people are killed in a fire at a fireworks warehouse in southern India, during the Diwali celebrations. (CNN)
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?