Saturday 24 October 2009
It was Saturday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to 3 by Britney Spears.
Nathan der Weise, directed by Manfred Noa, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 October 2009!
Which were the important events of 24 October 2009 ?
- Also see October 24 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- In The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien, the date is mentioned to Frodo Baggins by Gandalf upon his waking in Rivendell.
- Discordianism - Maladay
- Zambia - Independence Day (1964)
- R.C. Saints - optional memorial of Antonio Maria Claret
- United Nations Day (charter 1945)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 October
- The number of US bank failures this year has topped more than 100 after US federal regulators shut down three small Florida banks. More US banks have now failed this year than in any year since 1992.
- The International Day of Climate Action occurred worldwide in prelude to the United Nations Climate Change Conference of 2009, with over 5,400 actions to raise awareness of the assertion that 350 ppm is the maximum safe level of carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere, and call for mitigation of global warming before Earth reaches a climatological tipping point. (''CNN'')
- Ten corpses with gunshot wounds thought to belong to a kidnapped Colombian football team are located in Venezuela. (''Latin American Herald Tribune'')
- Pakistan reports re-gaining control of Kotkai, South Waziristan, birthplace of Pakistani Taliban leader Hakimullah Mehsud and also the hometown of the Taliban's master trainer of suicide bombers, Qari Hussain, after a week of fierce fighting with the Taliban. (BBC)
- Morrissey, ex-frontman of The Smiths, is hospitalized after collapsing on stage while performing ampquotThis Charming Manampquot during his world tour. (Sky News)
- Rosanna Al-Yami, a female journalist in Saudi Arabia, is sentenced to sixty lashes and a two-year travel ban for her involvement in a controversial sex programme. (Reuters)
- Senior envoys from North Korea and the United States hold rare talks on North Korea's nuclear programme in New York City. (Reuters)
- At least 15 people are killed after two trains collide in Al-Ayyat, near Cairo, Egypt. (Al Jazeera)
- Less than a week after the release of GOAL aid workers Sharon Commins and Hilda Kawuki, the International Committee of the Red Cross confirms one of its French employees has been abducted in Darfur. (''The Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Burma's Prime Minister Thein Sein tells the 15th ASEAN summit his government is prepared to relax the house arrest on National League for Democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi. (''Bangkok Post'')
- A magnitude 7.0 undersea earthquake strikes off the coast of eastern Indonesia. (''Jakarta Post'')
- Thousands of people protest in London, England, demanding the withdrawal of British troops from Afghanistan. (AFP)
- The ruling National Movement for the Development of Society wins a controversial parliamentary election in Niger. (AFP)
- An assassination attempt on President of the Chechen Republic Ramzan Kadyrov is averted. (Bloomberg)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 2009 ?
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?