Wednesday 21 August 1968
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Barbara Ann Moore and Shinichi Iwasaki.
In that special week of August people in US were listening to People Got To Be Free by The Rascals.
In UK Mony Mony by Tommy James & The Shondells was in the top 5 hits.
Hang 'Em High, directed by Ted Post, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Testimony Of Two Men by Taylor Caldwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Frost on Sunday.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 August 1968!
Which were the important events of 21 August 1968 ?
- Ninoy Aquino Day - special holiday in the Philippines.
- Orthodox - Thaddaeus
- RC saints - Pope Pius X
- Roman festivals - Consualia, in honor of Consus, is held
- Barbara Ann Moore: Spokane, Washington -- Playmate (Dec, 1992).
- Shinichi Iwasaki: Hockey goaltender (Team Japan 1998).
- Michel Fourgon: Belgian music composer and professor of music history.
- Dina Carroll: English singer-songwriter.
- Goran Ćurko: Serbian footballer.
- Laura Trevelyan: English journalist and author
- Vladimir Boudnik: Czech sculptor, commits suicide at about 45.
- After 5 years Russia once again jams Voice of America radio
- Democratic Convention opens in Chicago
- Marine James Anderson Jr is 1st black Medal of Honor winner
- Warsaw Pact forces enter Czechoslovakia to end reform movement
- William Dana reaches 80 km (last high-altitude X-15 flight).
- Soviet Union-dominated Warsaw Pact troops invade Czechoslovakia, crushing the Prague Spring; on the same day, Nicolae Ceausescu, leader of Communist Romania, publicly condemns the Soviet maneuver, encouraging the Romanian population to arm itself against possible Soviet reprisals.
- James Anderson, Jr. posthumously receives the first Medal of Honor to be awarded to an African American U.S. Marine.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 21 August 1968
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- The Rascals - People Got To Be Free
- Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
- The Doors - Hello, I Love You
- Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
- Mason Williams - Classical Gas
- The Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love
- The Vogues - Turn Around, Look At Me
- The 5th Dimension - Stoned Soul Picnic
- Archie Bell & The Drells - I Can't Stop Dancing
- The Dells - Stay In My Corner
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?