Thursday 23 April 2009
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of April people in US were listening to Boom Boom Pow by The Black Eyed Peas.
X-Men Origins: Wolverine, directed by Gavin Hood, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2009
while Twilight by Stephenie Meyer was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2009.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 23 April 2009!
Which were the important events of 23 April 2009 ?
- Saint Gerard (d.1138)
- UNESCO International Day of the Book in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Turkey - National Sovereignty and Children's Day (1920)
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut (Israeli Independence Day) for 2007: (the observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar).
- Independence Day for the Conch Republic
- National Beer Day in Germany
- Feast Day of Saint George: Patron saint and National Day of England
- Patron saint of the Spanish region of Arag=n
- Celebrated as St. Jordi's Day in Catalonia, presents of books and roses. See above.
- Catalonia - Lover's Day. Men receive a book as a gift from their romantic interest, while women receive roses. The book is in honor of Shakespeare's and Cervantes's death on April 23, 1616.
- Saint Adalbert of Prague
- Jurgi festival, in ancient Latvia
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 23 April
- The gamma ray burst GRB 090423 is observed for 10 seconds. The event signals the most distant object of any kind and also the oldest known object in the universe.
- General Motors will temporarily close 13 factories in the United States and Mexico. (AP via ''Miami Herald'')
- The Taliban's Students' Movement captures Buner District in Pakistan. (WSJ)
- Judge Tomas Norström of The Pirate Bay's trial is revealed to be a member of the same copyright protection organizations as several entertainment industry representatives. (''TT'' via ''The Local'')
- India's general election begins its second of five phases. (BBC)
- The International Monetary Fund forecasts that the world economy will not recover until 2010. (CNN)
- Prime Minister of Lesotho Pakalitha Mosisili survives an apparent assassination attempt. (BBC)
- Two suicide attacks near Baqubah and in Baghdad, Iraq, kill at least 87 people. (CNN)
- Iraq's government calculates that more than 110,000 Iraqis have died since the Iraq War began in 2003. (AP)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 2009 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?