Friday 24 December 1943
It was Friday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
A Guy Named Joe, directed by Victor Fleming, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 December 1943!
Which were the important events of 24 December 1943 ?
- December 24 is celebrated as the day before Christmas, thus called Christmas Eve.
- It is the day when food is traditionally set out for Santa Claus and his reindeer. Children around the world are urged to go to bed early so they are not awake when he arrives.
- In Hungary, Finland, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland, Norway, the Czech Republic and Slovakia among others, this is the day that presents are exchanged and opened.
- The Declaration of Christmas Peace takes place in the Old Great Square of Turku, Finland's official Christmas City, according to old traditions dating back to the Middle Ages.
- Noéla Pontois: Vendéme Dancers.
- Don Ridgway: American Mensan and astrologer, the son of a Mensan born July 16, 1922 at 6 AM, Iola Ks.
- Noëlla Pontois: French dancer, a famed ballerina.
- Christiane Schmidtmer: Heidelberg, Germany -- Actress (Ship of Fools).
- Tatton Sykes: English Baron / large landowner.
- Suzy Menkes: English journalist and critic
- Tarja Halonen: Finnish politician, the first Finnish woman president. Halonen was elected the 11th president of Finland in February 2000 and began a six-year term on 3/01/2000. A Member of Parliament since 1979, she was the first woman to become Foreign Minister.
- Christian Raymond: French road bicycle racer, who won a stage in the 1970 Tour de France. He also competed in the individual road race at the 1964 Summer Olympics.
- FDR appoints General Eisenhower Supreme Commander of Allied forces
- US President Franklin Roosevelt appoints General Dwight Eisenhower supreme commander of Allied forces.
- World War II: U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower becomes the Supreme Allied Commander.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 24 December 1943 and get them!