Wednesday 29 March 1989
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was George H. W. Bush (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include CJ Cool and Arnold Peralta.
In that special week of March people in US were listening to Eternal Flame by Bangles.
In UK Too Many Broken Hearts by Jason Donovan was in the top 5 hits.
Castle in the Sky, directed by Hayao Miyazaki, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1989
while The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Tugs.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Australian Rules Football or Blockout.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 29 March 1989!
Which were the important events of 29 March 1989 ?
- St. Bertold (d.1179)
- Blessed Hugo (d.1239)
- St. Ludolf of Ratzeburg (d.1250)
- St. Eustace
- Memorial day and commemoration of the 1947 revolt against French colonisation in Madagascar
- Youth Day in Taiwan
- Festival of Ishtar.
- St. Jonas (d. 327)
- CJ Cool: YouTube Star.
- Arnold Peralta: Honduran footballer (d. 2015).
- James Tomkins: English footballer.
- Bernard Blier: French character actor.
- 1st Soviet hockey players are permitted to play for the NHL
- 1st US private commercial rocket makes suborbital test flight (NM)
- 61st Academy Awards - Rainman, Dustin Hoffman and Jodie Foster win
- 9th Golden Raspberry Awards: Cocktail wins.
- First US private commercial rocket takes suborbital test flight (New Mexico).
- Michael Milken, junk bond king, indicted in New York for racketeering.
- The 61st Academy Awards are held at the Shrine Auditorium in Los Angeles, California, with ''Rain Man'' winning Best Picture.
- Margaret Thatcher's new local government tax, the Poll tax, is introduced in Scotland.
- In Namibia, fighting erupts between SWAPO guerillas and the South West African Police, on the day that a cease-fire was supposed to end the South African Border War according to United Nations Security Council Resolution 435. By April 6, nearly 300 people had been killed.
- A failed coup attempt against President of Haiti Prosper Avril leads to a standoff between mutinous troops and the government which ended on April 10 with the government regaining control of the country.
- In Brussels, Belgium, NATO celebrates its 40th anniversary.
Which were the top hits in that special week of March 1989 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Bangles - Eternal Flame
- Milli Vanilli - Girl You Know It's True
- Roxette - The Look
- Rod Stewart - My Heart Can't Tell You No
- Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
- Fine Young Cannibals - She Drives Me Crazy
- Was (Not Was) - Walk The Dinosaur
- R.E.M. - Stand
- Vanessa Williams - Dreamin'
- Debbie Gibson - Lost In Your Eyes
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?