Monday 1 April 1974
It was Monday, under the sign of Aries. The US president was Richard Nixon (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include China Chow and Hugo Benjamin Ibarra.
In that special week of April people in US were listening to Hooked On A Feeling by Blue Swede.
In UK Billy, Don't Be A Hero by Paper Lace was in the top 5 hits.
The Conversation, directed by Francis Ford Coppola, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1974
while Burr by Gore Vidal was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching The Little Doctor.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Gran Trak 10 or Spasim.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 April 1974!
Which were the important events of 1 April 1974 ?
- Saint Waleric
- Saint Hugh of Grenoble
- Orissa - a state in eastern India celebrates "Utkal Divas", its statehood day.
- India - Start of financial year.
- Canada - Beginning of government's fiscal year.
- Japan - The official start of school years in most universities and schools. Also, the official First Day of Work at companies and offices for new university graduates hires, marked by welcoming ceremonies and speeches.
- April 1 is known as April Fool's Day or All Fools' Day in many countries.
- Roman Empire - Veneralia celebrated to honor Venus.
- In San Marino, two Captains Regent, elected by Parliament, take office for six months.
- Last day of the Assyrian New Year Celebration
- Saint Jacoba
- International Day of the Birds.
- In England and Wales, local government reorganisations traditionally happen on April 1.
- Brielle celebrates victory of 1572 over Spaniards.
- Pigasus Award announcement.
- China Chow: British actress.
- Hugo Benjamin Ibarra: Argentine footballer.
- Sandra Volker: German swimmer.
- Beatriz Batarda: English-Portuguese actress.
- Richard Christy: American drummer and actor (Death Iced Earth and Charred Walls of the Damned).
- Colby Donaldson: American television host and actor
- John Glen: English politician
- Hugo Ibarra: Argentinian footballer and manager
- Sandra Völker: German swimmer
- Alfred Ernest Whitehead: Composer, dies at 86.
- Pioneer Hall opens
- Yourdon, Inc forms
- Ayatollah Khomeini calls for an Islamic Republic in Iran.
- In the United Kingdom, the Metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties come into being.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 1 April 1974
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of April 1974 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Blue Swede - Hooked On A Feeling
- Elton John - Bennie And The Jets
- John Denver - Sunshine On My Shoulders
- Terry Jacks - Seasons In The Sun
- Sister Janet Mead - The Lord's Prayer
- Redbone - Come And Get Your Love
- Cher - Dark Lady
- MFSB - TSOP (The Sound Of Philadelphia)
- Carly Simon - Mockingbird
- Gladys Knight and the Pips - Best Thing That Ever Happened To Me
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?