Saturday 1 May 2010
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Nothin' On You by B.o.B..
Iron Man 2, directed by Jon Favreau, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2010
while The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching How the Universe Works.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Battle of the Immortals or Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 2010 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 01 May
- Part of New York City's Times Square is evacuated and sealed off as a car bomb is discovered and deactivated before it could be detonated. (''Sydney Morning Herald'')
- Dozens of people are killed by twin bomb blasts inside a Mogadishu mosque. (''The Times'')
- Four soldiers are killed and several sustain wounds in a rocket, rifle and grenade attack on a military outpost near Nazimiye in Turkey. (BBC)
- In thoroughbred racing, Super Saver, ridden by Calvin Borel, wins the 2010 Kentucky Derby. (AP)
- At least one person is killed and 21 others are injured at a horse race in Nalchik, Kabardino-Balkaria. (Al Jazeera)
- Johnson Johnson announces the recall of 43 over-the-counter medicines intended for infants and children, affecting the United States and nine other markets. (''Washington Post'')
- At least 150,000 people gather in Kathmandu to support Maoists who want the Prime Minister to resign a general strike is called for on Sunday, May 2. (CNN)
- Greek police shoot tear gas at protesters in Athens during an anti-government march. (''The Times'')
- Thousands of people protest in Tirana, demanding a recount of votes from last June's parliamentary elections. (France24)
- In a non-title boxing match, welterweight champion Shane Mosley loses to Floyd Mayweather by unanimous decision. (''LA Times'')
- Bolivia nationalises four electricity companies. (Reuters)
- Pope Benedict XVI will appoint an envoy and a commission to reform Legion of Christ (LC), whose Mexican founder, Marcial Maciel, abused children before being dismissed in 2006. (Reuters)
- Albania becomes the 37th member of the European Patent Organisation. (EPO)
- Two retired generals tell ''The Washington Post'' that, with more than 25 per cent of young Americans being ampquottoo fat to fightampquot, obesity is threatening the future of the United States military. (Radio New Zealand)
- A Taipei-Shanghai flight makes an emergency landing in Hangzhou after an American passenger makes an inappropriate reference to a bomb. (BBC)
- A major pipe rupture in Weston, Massachusetts leaves up to 2 million people in the Greater Boston area without drinkable tap water for 59 hours. (Boston Globe)
- Zoë Joanne Myddelton and Alastair Ian Gordon are married at Old Brampton Church in Chesterfield. The reception was held at Hassop Hall. (Getting Married)
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 2010 ?
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 1 May 2010
Serie AItalian Football
- Milan - Fiorentina : 1 - 0
- Parma - Roma : 1 - 2
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Bayern Munich - Bochum : 3 - 1
- Dortmund - Wolfsburg : 1 - 1
- Ein Frankfurt - Hoffenheim : 1 - 2
- FC Koln - Freiburg : 2 - 2
La Liga Primera DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Espanol - Valencia : 0 - 2
- La Coruna - Zaragoza : 0 - 1
- Malaga - Sp Gijon : 1 - 1
- Tenerife - Santander : 2 - 1
La Liga Segunda DivisionFootball (Spain)
- Celta - Cadiz : 2 - 1
- Girona - Cordoba : 2 - 1
- Huesca - Cartagena : 0 - 2
- Las Palmas - Betis : 1 - 1
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?