Saturday 1 October 1938
It was Saturday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include J Bert Sonnier and Les Scheinflug.
Room Service, directed by William A. Seiter, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
while My Son, My Son! by Howard Spring was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1938!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1938 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- J Bert Sonnier: Race horse trainer.
- Les Scheinflug: Australian Soccer Assistant Coach (Olyroos, Olympics - 1996).
- Dick Brouwer: Dutch astrologer and computer programmer.
- Mary McFadden: American fashion designer who introduced her first collection in 1973, astonishing the fashion industry with styles that seemed more suited to the art gallery than to the haute couture salon.
- Tunç Başaran: Turkish actor director producer and screenwriter.
- Cubs clinch NL pennant
- Germany annexes Sudetenland (1 / 3 of Czechoslovakia)
- German troops march into the Sudetenland. The Polish government gives the Czech government an ultimatum stating that Zaolzie region must be handed over within twenty-four hours. The Czechs have little choice but to comply. Polish forces occupy Zaolzie.
- Tiberias massacre: Arabs murder 20 Jews.
- Disgusted with Neville Chamberlain's conduct at Munich, Duff Cooper resigns his post as First Lord of the Admiralty. With his resignation, formal debate begins in the Parliament of the United Kingdom on the Munich Agreement, but with Chamberlain at the peak of his popularity, there can be little doubt His Majesty's Government will receive a vote of confidence.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?