Friday 21 October 1938
It was Friday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Inocêncio de Oliveira and Jean-Pierre Nicolas.
Listen, Darling, directed by Edwin L. Marin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1938
while The Yearling by Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 October 1938!
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 21 October 1938 ?
- Republic of China - Overseas Chinese Day
- French Republican Calendar - Tonneau (Barrel) Day, thirtieth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- In the comic novel Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, the Earth was born on this day in 4004 BC, within a quarter of an hour of 9 in the morning. This was supposedly because God liked to get things over with early.
- R.C. saints - Saint Ursula and her 11 (or 11000) virgins; Saint Hilarion
- Trafalgar Day ? celebrated throughout much of the British Empire in the 19th and early 20th Century.
- Also see October 21 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- International Day of the Nacho ? celebrated in the United States and Mexico since the early 1990s.
- Diwali in India (2006)
- Inocêncio de Oliveira
- Jean-Pierre Nicolas
- Philippe Heymann: Lille Journalist.
- Carl Brewer: Canadian ice hockey player (Born 1938).
- Dorothy Hale: American socialite and actress (Born 1905).
- Japanese troops capture Canton, main southern China port.
- In direct contravention of the recently signed Munich Agreement, Adolf Hitler circulates among his high command a secret memorandum stating that they should prepare for the quotliquidation of the rest of Czechoslovakiaquot and the occupation of Memel.
- The minimum wage is established by law in the United States.
- French Foreign Minister Georges Bonnet carries out a major purge of the Qui d'Orsay, sacking or exiling a number of anti-appeasement officials such as Pierre Comert and René Massigli.
- At a ampquotfriendly luncheonampquot in Berchtesgaden, German foreign minister Joachim von Ribbentrop tells Józef Lipski, the Polish ambassador to Germany, that the Free City of Danzig must return to Germany, that the Germans must be given extraterritorial rights in the Polish Corridor, and that Poland must sign the Anti-Comintern Pact.
- Du Pont announces a name for its new synthetic yarn: ampquotnylonampquot.
- Jews with Polish citizenship are evicted from Nazi Germany.ampref name=ampquotyadvashemampquot/amp
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?