Sunday 1 October 1939
It was Sunday, under the sign of Libra (see planets position on October 1, 1939). The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include George Archer and Arlette Franco.
Inspector Hornleigh on Holiday, directed by Walter Forde, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching Come and Be Televised.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 October 1939
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1939!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1939 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- George Archer: American professional golfer, a member of the PGA Senior Tour.
- Arlette Franco
- Len Cariou: Actor.
- Jean-Marie Lehn: Scientist.
- Philip Cox: Philip Cox: Australian architect who designed a number of Sydney's buildings including the football stadium, aquarium and exhibition center.
- Geoffrey Whitehead: English actor.
- Churchill calls Soviets riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma