Tuesday 4 May 1926
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Enzo Garinei and Milton O Thompson.
Mum's the Word, directed by Leo McCarey, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 4 May 1926
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 4 May 1926 ?
- Star Wars day, "May the 4th be with you" pun on "May the force be with you"
- Republic of China - Literary Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- International Firefighters' Day.
- Saint Ladislaus of Gielnow
- People's Republic of China - Youth Day (???, commemorating May Fourth Movement).
- Blessed Catherine of Park
- Saint Judas Cyriacus
- Saint Florian
- Saint Godehard
- Saint Monica of Hippo (d. 387)
- Saint Ethelred
- Saint Silvianus
- Saint Titianus
- Saint Willerik
- Saint John Houghton, Saint Robert Lawrence, Saint Augustine Webster, Saint Richard Reynolds, and Saint John Hale; all put to death in 1535.
- Saint Malou
- The Netherlands - Remembrance of the Dead.
- Enzo Garinei: Italian comedian, brilliant in many TV shows.
- Milton O Thompson: astronaut (Dynasoar, X-15), dies at age 66.
- Milton Thompson: American astronaut, one of dozen test pilots to fly the famed X-15 rocket plane and the first to fly the aircraft known as the lifting body, which led to the design of the space shuttle.
- Aldo Bovio: Italy Actor.
- G Reinshagen: Writer.
- David Stoddart: Baron Stoddart of Swindon English politician.
- Roland Leroy: St AuLin les Elbeuf Politician.
- Milton "Milt" Thompson: US NASA-test pilot / chief-engineer (X-15).
- General strike hits Britain
- The British General Strike begins at Midnight in support of the coal strike.
- Martial law is declared in Britain because of the general strike.
- The French navy bombards Damascus because of the Druze riots.
- Admiral Richard E. Byrd and Floyd Bennett claim to have flown over the North Pole (later discovery of his diary seems to indicate that this did not happen).
- Talks between the government and strikers begin in the U.K.
- Planes piloted by Major Harold Geiger and Horace Meek Hickam, students at the Air Corps Tactical School, collide in mid-air at Langley Field, Virginia. Hickam parachutes to safety.
- Roald Amundsen flies over the North Pole.
- UK General Strike 1926: In the United Kingdom, a general strike by trade unions ends (the strike began on May 3).
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1926 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Always - Vincent Lopez & His Orchestra
- Clap Hands! Here Comes Charley - Johnny Marvin