Tuesday 25 May 1926
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Claude Akins and Milt Bernhardt.
It's the Old Army Game, directed by A. Edward Sutherland, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1926
while Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 May 1926!
Which were the important events of 25 May 1926 ?
- Ancient Latvia - Urbanas Diena observed
- Saint Reinolf
- Saint Marie-Madeleine-Sofie Barat (died 1865)
- Virginia - Confederate Memorial Day (1868)
- Argentina - Day of May Revolution/National Day (1810)
- Towel Day, in memory of Douglas Adams, is observed in ?
- The Ascension, one of the great feasts in the Christian liturgical calendar
- Saint Bede the Venerable (died 735)
- Saint Frederic
- Saint Augustine of Canterbury
- Saint Bruno of Wnrzburg
- The former Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia - Day of Youth
- Saint Hildebert
- Chad, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe - African Liberation Day
- Officially declared Carrie Underwood Day in Oklahoma for her winning American Idol
- Jordan - National Day/Arab Renaissance Day (1946)
- Africa Day commemorating the 1963 fouding of he AU's precursor, OAU
- United States - Memorial Day/Decoration Day, a legal holiday (1868)
- Lebanon, Liberation Day (1999)
- Saint Pope Gregory VII (died 1085)
- Claude Akins: American actor (d. 1994).
- Milt Bernhardt
- Bill Sharman: American basketball player and coach, who is mostly known for his time with the Boston Celtics in the 1950s, partnering with Bob Cousy in what some consider the greatest backcourt duo of all time.
- David Wynne: English sculptor and painter (d. 2014).
- Miles Davis: Alton artists.
- William Bowyer: English painter and academic (d. 2015).
- Phyllis Gotlieb: Canadian author and poet (d. 2009).
- Symon Petlyura: Leader of Ukraine (pogroms), assassinated at 47.
- Sholom Schwartzbard assassinates Symon Petliura, the head of the Paris-based government-in-exile of Ukrainian People's Republic.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1926 ?
Top #7 songs in the USA
- Rio Rita - Nat Shilkret & The Victor Orchestra
- Always - Henry Burr
- Drifting and Dreaming (Sweet Paradise) - George Olsen & His Orchestra
- Kentucky's Way Of Sayin' Good Morning - Brox Sisters
- Here in My Arms - Leo Reisman & His Orchestra
- After I Say I'm Sorry - Abe Lyman & His California Orchestra
- Always - Nick Lucas
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?