Thursday 9 January 1908
It was Thursday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Theodore Roosevelt (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Simone de Beauvoir and Simone Beauvoir.
The Last Cartridge, an Incident of the Sepoy Rebellion in India, directed by Unknown, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1908
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 January 1908
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 January 1908!
Which were the important events of 9 January 1908 ?
- Balloon Ascension Day
- Philippines - Feast of the Black Nazarene in Quiapo district, Manila.
- 1788 - Ratification Day in Connecticut.
- 1822 - "I Will Stay" Day, when the Portuguese prince Pedro decided to stay in Brazil against the orders of the Portugal king Jopo VI, starting the Brazilian independence process.
- 1964 - Memorial day of Patriotic Panamanians for the Panama Canal (Martyrs' Day/Dia de los Martires).
- Eastern Orthodox - Feast of Saint Theophan the Recluse.
- Roman Catholic - Feast of Saint Adrian
- Stepfather's Day
- Simone de Beauvoir: French philosopher and author (d. 1986).
- Simone Beauvoir: French writer and existentialist teacher who fashioned an impressive literary career as a novelist, philosopher, essayist and writer of memoirs.
- Giordano Corsi: Italian soccer player.
- Abraham Goldfaden US Yiddish stage performer (Shulamis): dies at age 67.
- Wilhelm Busch: German writer and artist, the author and sketcher of delightful children and young adult stories.
- Frans Schollaert succeeds De Trooz as premier of Belgium.
- Muir Woods National Monument, California established.