Saturday 9 May 1914
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Carlo Maria Giulini and Hank Snow.
Caught in the Rain, directed by Charles Chaplin, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 9 May 1914
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 9 May 1914 ?
- Russia and some other parts of the former Soviet Union ? Victory Day as the end of the "Great Patriotic War".
- Our Lady of Flanders
- Saint Tudi
- Saint Pachomius (died 346)
- Saint Gerontius (died 501)
- Roman Empire ? Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Jersey, Guernsey ? Liberation Day (commemorating the end of the German Occupation of the Channel Islands during World War II).
- Saint Carolina
- European Union ? Europe day, commemorating the "Schuman declaration".
- Carlo Maria Giulini: Italian musician and conductor (d. 2005).
- Hank Snow: Canadian-American famed country western singer and guitarist most noted for his performances with the Grand Ole Opry since 1950 to the early '90s.
- Theodore Kheel: labor negotiator (Fair Employment Practices).
- Frank Chacksfield: Arranger / orchestra leader.
- Denham Fouts: American male prostitute and socialite (d. 1948).
- Carlo Giulini: Italian-American musician, a violinist and the conductor of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, 1978-1984.
- Josef Muller-Brockmann: Graphic designer / writer.
- CW Post: American food manufacturer (Born 1854).
- 40th Kentucky Derby: John McCabe aboard Old Rosebud wins in 2:03.4.
- US President Woodrow Wilson signs a proclamation designating the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day.
- J.T. Hearne becomes the first bowler to take 3,000 first-class wickets.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1914 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Where Can I Meet You To-Night? - Ada Jones & Henry Burr
- Do You Take This Woman for Your Lawful Wife? - William J. Halley
- Dance of the Hours - Victor Herbert & His Orchestra