Wednesday 11 November 1914, Veteran's Day
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Perry Bass and Hansje Toussaint [Hermina A Schenk].
Tillie's Punctured Romance, directed by Mack Sennett, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1914
while T. Tembarom by Frances Hodgson Burnett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1914!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1914 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Hansje Toussaint [Hermina A Schenk]: Singer (Sing of the Cross).
- Perry Bass: Texas billionaire.
- Taslim Olawale Elias: Nigerian jurist and former ICJ president (d. 1991).
- James G Baker: American astronomer and optician (d. 2005).
- André Genet: French military physician in World War II, awarded the title of 'Compagnon de la Libération' (English: Companion of the Liberation).
- Daisy Bates: Publisher / head (Arkansas NAACP).
- James Baker: American astronomer optician and academic (d. 2005).
- Taslim Elias: Nigerian academic and jurist 2nd Chief Justice of Nigeria (d. 1991).
- Howard Fast: NYC, New York -- Screenwriter (Rachel & the Stranger, Spartacus).
- Henry Wade: American soldier and lawyer (d. 2001).
- 24 ampndash World War I ampndash The Battle of Basra results in British Empire forces taking Basra from the Ottoman Empire.
- A year after being created by passage of the Federal Reserve Act of 1913, the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States officially opens for business.
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1914 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Memphis Blues - Prince's Orchestra
- I Want to Go Back to Michigan (Down on the Farm) - Elida Morris
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?