Tuesday 11 November 1919, Veteran's Day
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Scorpio. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Hamish Henderson and Kalle Paatalo.
Male and Female, directed by Cecil B. DeMille, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 11 November 1919
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 November 1919!
Which were the important events of 11 November 1919 ?
- Colombia - Independence of Cartagena, from the Spanish Army in (1918)
- Remembrance Day in the Commonwealth of Nations, including United Kingdom, Australia and Canada.
- Lacplesis' Day (1919) in Latvia: the official date for commemoration of Latvian soldiers, who had died for the country's freedom.
- Armistice Day in France and Belgium: end of World War I (1918)
- Poland - Independence Day (1918)
- R.C. Saints - Martin of Tours
- Angola - Independence Day (1975)
- Opening of carnival season in Germany ("Karneval"/"Fasching" on 11-11, at 11:11), the Netherlands, and other countries
- Also see November 11 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- United States - Veterans Day (Formerly "Armistice Day")
- South Korea - Pepero Day
- Hamish Henderson: Scottish poet, composer and folk singer.
- Kalle Paatalo: Finnish novelist (d. 2000).
- Kalle Päätalo: Finnish soldier and author (d. 2000).
- Pavel Chistyakov: Russian painter and educator (d. 1919).
- Pope Benedictus XV states Roman Catholics political / business views
- The Centralia Massacre in Centralia, Washington results the deaths of four members of the American Legion and the lynching of a local leader of the Industrial Workers of the World.
- Lacplesa day : Latvian forces defeat the Freikorps at Riga in the Latvian War of Independence.
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of November 1919 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Oh! How She Can Sing - Van & Schenck
- You Don't Need the Wine to Have a Wonderful Time - Eddie Cantor
- You Can't Get Lovin' Where There Ain't No Love - Nora Bayes