Wednesday September 14, 1932
US date format: 9/14/1932, UK date format: 14/9/1932
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo (see birth chart on September 14, 1932). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican), the UK Prime Minister was Ramsay MacDonald (Labour), Pope Pius XI was leading the Catholic Church.
Famous people born on this day include Joshua Culbreath and Harry Sinden.
Tiger Shark, directed by Howard Hawks, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1932
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the important events of September 14, 1932?
- Eastern Orthodox Church - Exaltation of the Cross, which commemorates the discovery of the (allegedly) original Christian cross in 326 by Helena, mother of Constantine, as well as the recovery from the Persians by Heraclius in 628.
- Formerly, in the Roman Catholic and Anglican churches, the Wednesday, Friday and Saturday following 14 September were observed as one of the four sets of Ember days. In the Irish calendar they were known as Quarter tense.
- Roman Catholic Church - Triumph of the Cross (compare May 3, Finding of the Holy Cross).
- In ancient Greece, the first day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, during which the sacred objects were brought from Eleusis to Athens.
- Military coup in Chile under Arturo Alessandri
- Jean Emile Paul Cras: Composer, dies at 53.