Wednesday 15 August 1917
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Oscar Romero and Philippe Viannay.
The Manxman, directed by George Loane Tucker, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1917
while The Road to Understanding by Eleanor H. Porter was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the important events of 15 August 1917 ?
- Hawaii ? Toro Nagashi (Floating Lantern Ceremony) to commemorate the end of the second world war
- Poland ? Polish Armed Forces Day
- Eastern Orthodoxy ? Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos, the commemoration of the death of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- RC Saints ? Feast day of the Assumption of Mary, the mother of Jesus, Holy Day of Obligation. Public Holiday in: Austria, Belgium, Cameroon, Chile, C(te d'Ivoire, Croatia, Cyprus, East Timor, France, Greece, India, Italy, Lebanon, Lithuania, Malta, Mauritius, Poland, Portugal, Seychelles, Slovenia and Spain.
- Acadie ? National Day
- Egypt ? Flooding of the Nile Day
- India ? Independence Day (from the United Kingdom, 1947)
- Korea ? Liberation Day
- Italy ? "Ferragosto", remembrance of an ancient Roman holiday in honor of Augustus (Feriae Augusti)
- Liechtenstein ? Liechtenstein Day
- Tuva ? Tuva Republic Day, Naadym
- Roman Catholicism - the feasts of at least 3 saints: St. Alipius
- St. Arnoul/Arnulphus
- St. MacCartin/Ard/Aed
- The Assumption of Mary - a holy day of obligation
- Ancient Latvia ? M?ras
- Oscar Romero: El Salvadorian ecclesiastic, an activist Roman Catholic Archbishop of San Salvador and martyr.
- Philippe Viannay: French journalist; During World War II, he led a resistance movement named Défense de la France.
- Jogeph Chosson: Monistrol/Loire Military man.
- Jack Lynch: Irish footballer and politician 5th Taoiseach of Ireland (d. 1999).
- Óscar Romero: Salvadoran archbishop (d. 1980).
- Jacques Andrieux: French fighter ace of the Second World War credited with 6 aerial victories.
- Chuck Boyajian in Ohio: USA; Disneyland worker 1955-81 as Manager of Custodial Operations.
- Thomas J Higgins: American Union Army soldier (Born 1831).
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1917 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
- Till the Clouds Roll By - Anna Wheaton & James Harrod
- All the World Will be Jealous of Me - Charles Harrison
- Oh, Johnny! Oh, Johnny! Oh! - Elizabeth Brice
- Till the Clouds Roll By - Vernon Dalhart
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?