Thursday 16 August 1923
It was Thursday, under the sign of Leo (see planets position on August 16, 1923). The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Shimon Peres and Charles H Roan.
Little Old New York, directed by Sidney Olcott, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1923
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 16 August 1923
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1923!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1923 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Shimon Peres: Israeli politician born in the USSR, a cabinet minister and colleague of Rabin, co-architect of the peace process in the mid-east.
- Charles H Roan
- Charles Roan: American military, United States Marine who sacrificed his life on 18 September 1944 to save those of four fellow Marines in the landing on Peleliu during World War II.
- Joe Hutton: Northumbrian piper / shepherd.
- Millôr Fernandes: Brazilian journalist and playwright (d. 2012).
- Pierre Seel: French gay Holocaust survivor and the only French person to have testified openly about his experience of deportation during World War II due to his homosexuality.
- Millor Fernandes: Brazilian playwright.
Search For Your Ancestors
Planetary positions on this day
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1923 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- Marcheta - Isham Jones & His Orchestra
- Yes! We have No Bananas - Great White Way Orchestra (Vocal Billy Murray)
- Swinging Down the Lane - Ben Bernie & His Orchestra