Wednesday 16 August 1922
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was Warren G. Harding (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Louis E Lomax and Gene Woodling.
Blood and Sand, directed by Fred Niblo, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1922
while The Head of the House of Coombe by Frances Hodgson Burnett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 August 1922!
Which were the important events of 16 August 1922 ?
- RC saints: feast day of Saint Stephen I of Hungary; Saint Roch (helps against plague and skin diseases)
- USA: legal holiday in Vermont for the Battle of Bennington in 1777 (which actually took place in the state of New York)
- Palio dell'Assunta in Siena
- Eastern Orthodox: commemoration of the translation of the Acheiropoietos icon which means "Not made by hands", (also known as the Mandelion; now lost) from Edessa to Constantinople on 16 August 944
- Louis E Lomax: Author.
- Gene Woodling: American baseball player, and outfielder with the Cleveland Indians, Pittsburgh Pirates, New York Yankees, Baltimore Orioles, Washington Senators, and the New York Mets.
- James Casey: English comedian radio scriptwriter and producer (d. 2011).
- Ernie Freeman: American pianist and bandleader (d. 2001).
- AT&T radio station WBAY becomes WEAF (NYC)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 1922 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
- I Love Her-She Loves Me (I'm Her He-She's My She) - Eddie Cantor
- Romany Love - Ben Selvin & His Orchestra
- John McCormack - Somewhere
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?