Friday 17 August 2007
It was Friday, under the sign of Leo. The US president was George W. Bush (Republican).
In that special week of August people in US were listening to Beautiful Girls by Sean Kingston.
In UK The Way I Are by Timbaland featuring Doe & Keri Hilson was in the top 5 hits.
3:10 to Yuma, directed by James Mangold, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2007
while In At The Death by Harry Turtledove was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Monkey Life.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing AFL Premiership 2007 or Bazooka Cafe.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 August 2007!
Which were the important events of 17 August 2007 ?
- Rastafarianism - celebration of the birth of Marcus Garvey
- Roman Empire - Portunalia in honor of Portunes
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 17 August
- Bill Deedes: British journalist and politician (Born 1913).
- The US Federal Reserve reduces the discount rate from 6.25 to 5.75 percent.
- Disney film High School Musical 2 is shown on TV in the USA, becoming the single most-watched basic cable telecast, with about 17.2 million viewers.
- 2007 Pacific typhoon season: Southeast China and Taiwan prepare for typhoon Sepat. (Xinhua)
- Six members of the Iranian security forces are killed in a helicopter crash near the town of Piranshahr close to the Iraqi border. (Daily Times, Pakistan)
- Five people are killed when the top floor of a building in South Mumbai, India, collapses on an adjoining building.
- A dozen Taliban die in an attempted ambush of a joint patrol of Afghan police and Coalition troops in Helmand province. (Times of India)
- France circulates a draft United Nations Security Council resolution extending the mandate of the 13,600 United Nations peacekeeping force in Lebanon. (AP via the Washington Post)
- Interpol issues warrants for the arrest of Saddam Hussein's eldest daughter Raghad Hussein and his first wife Sajida Khairalla Tulfa for providing support to Iraqi insurgents. (NYT)
- A Nile boat sinks off the northern Egyptian town of Beni Suef with dozens feared missing. (Reuters via ABC News Australia)
- 172 coal miners are trapped in a flooded mine in Shandong province in eastern China. (ChinaDaily)
- The search for six miners trapped in the Crandall Canyon mine in Utah is suspended indefinitely after the death of three rescue workers. (AP via Forbes)
- Ashley Mote, a Member of the European Parliament for South East England, is convicted on 21 counts of fraud. (BBC)
- Hurricane Dean:
- Hurricane Dean intensifies into a Category 4 hurricane after hitting the Lesser Antilles. (Reuters)
- BP starts evacuating its oil and gas workers from the Gulf of Mexico ahead of Hurricane Dean. (The Scotsman)
- The Governor of Louisiana Kathleen Blanco declares a state of emergency as a precaution. (Governor's Office)
- Stock prices in the United States and Europe rally after the Federal Reserve cuts its discount lending rate to restore confidence in the banking sector after the subprime mortgage crisis. (Bloomberg)
- 2007 Peru earthquake
- A powerful aftershock earthquake of 5.9 magnitude hits the Huancavelica region. (The Scotsman)
- Over 600 inmates escape from the Tambo de Mora Prison in Chincha, 25 miles from the epicentre of the earthquake, after it collapses. (AP via the International Herald Tribune)
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2007 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Sport Games on 17 August 2007
Jupiler LeagueFootball (Belgium)
- Club Brugge - St Truiden : 3 - 2
Bundesliga 1Football (Germany)
- Karlsruhe - Hannover : 1 - 2
Bundesliga 2Football (Germany)
- Freiburg - Paderborn : 1 - 0
- Koblenz - Augsburg : 2 - 1
- Wehen - Osnabruck : 1 - 1
Division 2Football (France)
- Amiens - Grenoble : 1 - 2
- Angers - Ajaccio : 1 - 0
- Bastia - Gueugnon : 1 - 0
- Chateauroux - Libourne : 2 - 0
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?