Tuesday 17 September 1929US date format: 9/17/1929, UK date format: 17/9/1929
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo (see planets position on September 17, 1929). The US president was Herbert Hoover (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Stirling Moss and Lord Craig of Radley.
Diary of a Lost Girl, directed by Georg Wilhelm Pabst, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1929
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 17 September 1929
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1929!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1929 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Stirling Moss: auto racer, killed while racing at age 32.
- Lord Craig of Radley: Marshal (RAF).
- Sir Stirling Moss: English race car driver.
- Henri Delauze: French engineer, diver and entrepreneur who founded the company COMEX.
- John Stewart-Clark: MEP (C).
- David Craig: Baron Craig of Radley Irish air marshal and politician.
- Pat Crowley: American actress.
- Sil Austin: American saxophonist (d. 2001).
- British troops begin evacuating
- A coup ousts Augustinas Voldemaras in Lithuania the new president is Antanas Smetona.