Sunday 16 September 1928
It was Sunday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Calvin Coolidge (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Lady Gwen Thompson and Denis Brihat.
Beggars of Life, directed by William A. Wellman, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1928
while Claire Ambler by Booth Tarkington was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 September 1928!
Which were the important events of 16 September 1928 ?
- Mexico - Independence Day (from Spain; proclaimed 1810, recognised 1821, instituted 1825; See Fiestas Patrias)
- Also see September 16 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- RC Saints - Saint Cyprian, Pope Cornelius, Saint Ludmila
- In ancient Greece, the third day of the Eleusinian Mysteries, when the initiates walked to the sea at Phaleron and purified themselves in the water.
- Papua New Guinea - Independence Day (from Australia, 1975)
- Lady Gwen Thompson: British occultist (d. 1986).
- Denis Brihat: French photographer.
- Charles Weaver: American marketing businessman and CEO of Clorox, a household products manufacturing company.
- Rex Trailer: American television host actor and singer (d. 2013).
- Gwen Thompson: English author and educator (d. 1986).
- Hurricane hits West Palm Beach-Lake Okeechobee Florida; 3,000 die
- The Okeechobee Hurricane kills at least 2,500 people in Florida.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?