Thursday 1 October 1964
It was Thursday, under the sign of Libra. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic). In that special week of October people in US were listening to Oh, Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison.
In UK You Really Got Me by The Kinks was in the top 5 hits.
Cheyenne Autumn, directed by John Ford, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1964
while The Spy Who Came In From The Cold by John le Carré was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1964.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 October 1964!
Which were the important events of 1 October 1964 ?
- Singapore - Children's Day
- Also see October 1 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- World Vegetarian Day
- French Republican Calendar - Cuve (Barrel) Day, tenth day in the Month of VendTmiaire
- Tuvalu - Independence Day (from Gilbert Islands (Kiribati), 1975)
- San Marino - two Captains Regent, elected by parliament, take office for six months.
- Nigeria - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- People's Republic of China - National Day (1949)
- RC Church - Feast days of Saint ThTrFse de Lisieux; formerly of Saint Bavo and Saint Remigius
- Republic of Cyprus - Independence Day (from Britain, 1960)
- Denis Dercourt: French film director and screenwriter.
- Harry Hill: British comedian.
- Kristi Atkinson: Van Nuys, California -- WP volleyballer (Best of Beach-6th - 1994).
- Marcia Pankratz: Wakefield, Massachusetts -- Field hockey forward (Olympics - 1988, 96).
- Roberto Kelly: Panama -- Outfielder (NY Yanks, Cin Reds, Minn Twins).
- Max Matsuura: Japanese songwriter producer and manager
- Jonathan Sarfati: Australian-New Zealand chess player and author
- Christopher Titus: American actor producer and screenwriter
- Ernst Toch: Austrian-American composer and songwriter (d. 1964).
- 1st official broadcast of Trans World Radio on Bonaire
- 2nd Dutch televisienet begins broadcastings
- WSJU TV channel 18 in Carolina, PR begins broadcasting
- WTSJ TV channel 18 in San Juan, PR (NBC) begins broadcasting
- WWAY TV channel 3 in Wilmington, NC (ABC) begins broadcasting
- San Francisco cable cars declared a US national landmark.
- The Free Speech Movement is launched on the campus of University of California, Berkeley.
- Japanese Shinkansen (''bullet trains'') begin high-speed rail service from Tokyo to Osaka.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of October 1964 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Roy Orbison - Oh, Pretty Woman
- Manfred Mann - Do Wah Diddy Diddy
- The Newbeats - Bread And Butter
- Martha & the Vandellas - Dancing In The Street
- The Shangri-Las - Remember (Walkin' In The Sand)
- Ronny & The Daytonas - G.T.O.
- Gene Pitney - It Hurts To Be In Love
- The Animals - The House Of The Rising Sun
- Gale Garnett - We'll Sing In The Sunshine
- The 4 Seasons - Save It For Me
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?