Saturday 9 June 2012
It was Saturday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye.
Inseparable, directed by Dayyan Eng, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2012
while Fifty Shades Freed by E L James was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2012.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 9 June 2012!
Which were the important events of 9 June 2012 ?
- Saint Efrem=Saint Ephraim, deacon, Doctor of the Church
- Blessed Diana d'Andalo
- Saint Pelagia, virgin, martyr [BLS]
- Saint Vincent, deacon, martyr [BLS]
- Blessed Richard, bishop of Andria, Apulia
- Saint Liborius, bishop (of LeMans), confessor [GTZ: LeMans]
- Saint Edmund, bishop of Canturbury, confessor (Translation day) [GTZ: England]
- Saint Diomedes
- =? Blessed Columba, abbot, confessor [GTZ: Scotland]
- Saint Columba (called Saint Columcille in Ireland, where he is honoured as one of the islands three patron saints)
- Saint Alexander, martyr [GTZ: Russia]
- Roman Empire paganism - third day of the Vestalia in honor of the goddess Vesta
- Saint Primus and Felicianus, martyrs [common]
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 09 June
- Arab Spring:
- Syrian uprising:
- The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights claims that shelling in the town of Deraa has claimed the lives of 17 people overnight. (Reuters Alertnet)
- It is reported that heavy bombing on Homs has been taking place since this morning. Young activitists of the Sham News Network also report violent clashes in various neighbourhoods of Damascus between loyal forces and rebels of the Free Syrian Army (AGI)
- Syrian blogger Razan Ghazzawi is awarded the Front Line human rights prize. (''The Irish Times'')
- Yemeni army reports that seventeen militants and at least two government soldiers have died in clashes in south Yemen. (BBC Middle East)
- Four members of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force are killed in Afghanistan's Kapisa province. (Reuters via ''Jerusalem Post'')
- At least 20 people are killed and over three hundred houses are burned down during riots in western Burma. (''The Nation'')
- Spain's economy and finance minister Luis de Guindos confirms the receipt of up to 100 billion euros ($125 billion) in loans to help shore up its struggling banks, with the exact amount to be determined by the end of the month. (Al Jazeera)
- Search crews locate the wreckage of a missing Sikorsky H-34 helicopter near Mt. Mamarosa in southern Peru, with all 14 on board confirmed dead. (Al Jazeera)
- 400 people are trapped by landslides in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir. (IBN live)
- Over 12 inches of rain fail on Pensacola, Florida and adjacent areas, leading to widespread flooding. (Weather Channel)
- More than 150 people are helped to safety by emergency services after heavy overnight rain caused flooding in Wales. (BBC)
- Protesters and riot police clash for the third night in a row in Montreal near the Grand Prix events on the corner of Sainte-Catherine and Crescent. (Radio-Canada)
- Michael Krohn-Dehli's first-half strike earns the Danes a shock win against the Dutch at the Metalist Stadium in Kharkiv. (BBC)
- Moments before he was due to be substituted, Mario Gómez's second-half header earns Germany a winning start against Portugal at the Arena Lviv in Lviv. (Al Jazeera)
- UEFA begins disciplinary proceedings against the Football Union of Russia for ampquotimproper conduct of supportersampquot during Friday's game against the Czech Republic at the Stadion Miejski in Wrocław. (BBC)
- Maria Sharapova defeats Sara Errani in the 2012 French Open Women's Singles Final, becoming World No.1 and completing a career Grand Slam. (ESPN)
- In NBA basketball, Miami Heat defeat the Boston Celtics to win their 3rd Eastern Conference title and proceed to the 2012 NBA Finals, where they will face Oklahoma City Thunder. (''New York Daily News'')
- The Norfolk Admirals defeat the Toronto Marlies in a sweep to clinch their first ever AHL championship. (NBC Sports)
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2012 ?
Get back in touch
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
What news were making the headlines those days in June 2012?
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?