Saturday 14 May 1955
It was Saturday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include [Jose] Dennis Martinez in Nicaragua pitcher (Baltimore Orioles and Jean-Marie Leborgne.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Unchained Melody by Les Baxter & His Orchestra.
In UK Stranger In Paradise by Tony Bennett was in the top 5 hits.
Kiss Me Deadly, directed by Robert Aldrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while No Time For Sergeants by Mac Hyman was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Sam and Friends.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 14 May 1955!
Which were the important events of 14 May 1955 ?
- St. Carthach the Younger
- DubsDay in Dublin Ireland (14th of May in 2006).
- Mother's Day in various countries (second Sunday of May in 2006).
- Israel - Yom Ha'atzma'ut, or Israeli Independence Day. The observed date of this national holiday is determined by the Jewish Calendar.
- Paraguay - Flag Day.
- St. Maria Dominic Mazzarello
- St. Just
- St. Engelmer
- St. Vincent of Lerins
- St. Victor and Corona
- St. Boniface of Tarsus
- St. Michael Garicoits
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: St. Matthias (Apostle)
- St. Engelmund
- [Jose] Dennis Martinez in Nicaragua pitcher (Baltimore Orioles: Montreal Expos, Cleveland Indians).
- Jean-Marie Leborgne: French homicide.
- Wilhelm Molterer: Austrian politician.
- Dan Post: American actor, a masculine image seen in commercials for the advertising of Nordic Track.
- Marie Chouinard: Canadian dancer and choreographer.
- Kenth Eldebrink: Swedish javelin thrower
- Alasdair Fraser: Scottish fiddler (Skyedance)
- Peter Kirsten: South African cricketer and rugby player
- Dennis Martínez: Nicaraguan baseball player and coach
- Jens Sparschuh: German author and playwright
- Betty Ann Davies: Dies at 44.
- US performs nuclear test in Pacific Ocean.
- Cold War: Eight communist bloc countries, including the Soviet Union, sign a mutual defense treaty called the Warsaw Pact.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 14 May 1955
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1955 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?