Wednesday 11 May 1955
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Taurus. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mark Herndon in Springfield and Jos Haagmans.
In that special week of May people in US were listening to Unchained Melody by Les Baxter & His Orchestra.
In UK Stranger In Paradise by Tony Bennett was in the top 5 hits.
Kiss Me Deadly, directed by Robert Aldrich, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while No Time For Sergeants by Mac Hyman was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Sam and Friends.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1955.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 11 May 1955!
Which were the important events of 11 May 1955 ?
- Saint Francis of Girolamo
- Saint Estella
- Holiday of the City of Miskolc (since 1992).
- Saint Odilo of Cluny
- Saint Majolus of Cluny
- Saint James Walworth
- Blessed John Rochester
- Saint Bertilla
- Saint Gengou Gangulphus
- Feast day of the following saints in the Roman Catholic Church: Saint Mamertus, first of the Ice Saints
- Roman Empire - Feast of the Lemures (See Larvae).
- Saint Gauthier of Esterp
- Mark Herndon in Springfield: Massachusetts, USA; drummer (Alabama - "Take Me Down").
- Jos Haagmans: Dutch singer (Frank Boeijen Group).
- Nicole Guedj: French lawyer and politician who was secretary of state in the government of Raffarin III.
- Mark Herndon: American musician, a member of the rock group "Alabama.
- John DeStefano: Jr.
- Gilbert Jessop: English cricketer and soldier (d. 1955).
- Israel attacks Gaza.
- Japanese National Railways' ferry ''Shiun Maru'' sinks after collision with sister ship ''Uko Maru'' in thick fog off Takamatsu, Shikoku, in the Seto Inland Sea of Japan 166 passengers (many children) and two crew are killed. This event is influential in plans to construct the Akashi-Kaikyō Bridge (built 1986-98).
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1955 ?
Top #5 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?