Sunday 16 January 1949
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Harry S. Truman (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Anne Beiler and R Foster.
A Canterbury Tale, directed by Michael Powell, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1949
On TV people were watching Your Show Time.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1949.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 16 January 1949!
Which were the important events of 16 January 1949 ?
- National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, to commemorate the adoption of Thomas Jefferson's landmark Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom in 1786
- Teacher's Day in Thailand
- Anne Beiler: American businesswoman founded Auntie Anne's.
- R Foster: Irish historian and academic.
- Oliver Humperdink: American wrestling manager (d. 2011).
- Caroline Munro: English actress and singer.
- Andrew Refshauge: Australian physician and politician 13th Deputy Premier of New South Wales.
- Rape of Lucretia closes at Ziegfeld Theater NYC after 23 performances
- KNBH (now KNBC) TV channel 4 in Los Angeles, CA (NBC) 1st broadcast
- WTOP (now WUSA) TV channel 9 in Washington, DC (CBS) 1st broadcast
- Şemsettin Günaltay forms the new government of Turkey. (18th government, last single party government of CHP)
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1949 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- Red Roses For A Blue Lady - Vaughn Monroe & His Orchestra
- Kay Starr - So Tired
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?