Tuesday 17 September 1968
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Lord Jammer and Stacey Dillard.
In that special week of September people in US were listening to Harper Valley P.T.A. by Jeannie C. Riley.
In UK Hey Jude by The Beatles was in the top 5 hits.
Charly, directed by Ralph Nelson, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1968
while Testimony Of Two Men by Taylor Caldwell was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching How We Used to Live.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Hamurabi.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 17 September 1968!
Which were the important events of 17 September 1968 ?
- RC Saints - Feasts of Saint Lambert (martyr), Hildegard of Bingen
- United States - Constitution Day (observed on the previous Friday if it falls in a weekend), Citizenship Day, Von Steuben Day
- Netherlands - Operation Market Garden is still remembered with parachuting and dedications on this day.
- Also see September 17 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)
- The fourth day of the Eleusinian Mysteries in ancient Greek mythology, when the initiates sacrificed a pig.
- Angola - National Heroes' Day
- Lord Jammer: Rocker (Brand Nubian).
- Stacey Dillard: NFL defensive tackle (New York Giants).
- Suzy Cote: Santa Barbara, California -- Actress (Samantha-Guiding Light).
- Valeri Zelepukin: NHL forward (New Jersey Devils, Team Russia Olympics - Silver - 1998).
- Suzy Cote in Santa Barbara: California, USA; actress (Samantha - Guiding Light).
- Akhenaton : French rapper of Italian descent. Leader of the group IAM, he went on a solo career. He chose Akhenaton, the pharaoh of the Eighteenth dynasty of Egypt, as stage name. Nicknamed "Chill Phil".
- Anastacia : American singer
- Joe Bastianich: Chef
- Marie-Chantal : Crown Princess of Greece
- Jamar: American rapper and actor (Brand Nubian)
- Jonn Penney: English singer (Ned's Atomic Dustbin)
- Tito Vilanova: Spanish footballer and manager (d. 2014)
- Zond 5 completes circumnavigation of Moon
- Gaylord Perry (San Francisco Giants) no-hits Saint Louis Cardinals, 1-0.
- The D'Oliveira Affair: The Marylebone Cricket Club tour of South Africa is cancelled when the South Africans refuse to accept the presence of Basil D'Oliveira, a Cape Coloured, in the side.
Which were the top hits in that special week of September 1968 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
- Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A.
- The Rascals - People Got To Be Free
- The Beatles - Hey Jude
- Deep Purple - Hush
- The 1910 Fruitgum Company - 1,2,3 Red Light
- Jose Feliciano - Light My Fire
- Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild
- Sergio Mendes and Brasil '66 - The Fool On The Hill
- The Bee Gees - I've Gotta Get A Message To You
- Aretha Franklin - The House That Jack Built
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?