Saturday 21 January 1956
It was Saturday, under the sign of Aquarius. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Sixteen Tons by Tennessee Ernie Ford was in the top 5 hits.
The Court Jester, directed by Melvin Frank, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 21 January 1956!
Which were the important events of 21 January 1956 ?
- National Hugging Day
- Catholicism - Feast day of Saint Agnes.
- Mauritius - Thaipoosam Cavadee.
- UN Arms Day
- Bob Brill in New York City: New York, USA; drummer (Berlin - "Take My Breath Away").
- Bob Brill: NYC, New York -- Drummer (Berlin-You Take My Breath Away).
- Geena Davis: American actress; six-foot tall winner of an Oscar for her role in "Accidental Tourist," 1989 and an Oscar nominee for her role in "Thelma and Louise," 1991.
- Frédérique Cambreling: French harpist, a solo and concert performer and Principal Harpist of the renowned Ensemble Intercontemporain (since 1993).
- Robby Benson: American actor singer and director.
- Sam Langford: Canadian-American boxer (d. 1956).
- Comedy in Music (Victor Borge) closes at Golden NYC after 849 performances
- William Shawn succeeds Harold Ross as editor of New Yorker
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1956 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 21 January 1956 and get them!