Tuesday 3 January 1956
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
Famous people born on this day include Mel Gibson in Peekskill and Willy T Ribbs.
In UK Just Walkin' In The Rain by Johnnie Ray was in the top 5 hits.
All That Heaven Allows, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Chevron Hall of Stars.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 3 January 1956!
Which were the important events of 3 January 1956 ?
- The tenth night and ninth day of Christmas in Western Christianity
- The Festival of Sleep Day
- In astronomy the best date to view the Quadrantids meteor shower.
- Roman Empire - Festival in honour of Pax
- Feast day of St Genevieve
- In astronomy the approximate date of Earth's perihelion.
- Mel Gibson in Peekskill: New York, USA; actor (Mad Max, Mrs Soffel, Lethal Weapon, Conspiracy Theory).
- Willy T Ribbs: American race-car driver.
- Gioele Dix: Italian actor and comedian of Jewish descent.
- Mel Gibson: American-Australian actor whose Irish-Catholic family moved to Australia when he was 12.
- Nicole Mossoux: Belgian dancer and choreographer.
- Alexander Gretchaninov: Russian-American pianist and composer (d. 1956).
- A fire damages the top part of the Eiffel Tower.
- By popular demand, ''Peter Pan'', starring Mary Martin, is restaged live by Producers' Showcase on NBC-TV.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 3 January 1956
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1956 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
Top #9 songs in the UK
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- Bill Hayes - The Ballad Of Davy Crockett
- Malcolm Vaughan - St Therese Of The Roses
- Frank Sinatra - Love And Marriage
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rip It Up
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?