Sunday 1 January 1956
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Just Walkin' In The Rain by Johnnie Ray was in the top 5 hits.
All That Heaven Allows, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1956 ?
- Sergei Vasiliyevich Avdeyev Russian cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-15: SK TM-28).
- Anatoli Borisovich: Polonsky in Russia; Lieutenant-Colonel/cosmonaut.
- Christine Lagarde: French lawyer and politician, the Minister of Economic Affairs since 2007.
- Sergei Avdeyev: Russian engineer and astronaut.
- Mark Hughes: American businessman founded Herbalife (d. 2000).
- Mike Mitchell: American basketball player (d. 2011)
- Ziad Rahbani: Lebanese pianist and composer
- Beatrice Ganz: Swiss pro astrologer. Head of the Astrologische Gesellschaft Zürich.
- Koji Yakusho: Japanese actor
- Sheila McCarthy: Canadian film actress and international star of "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing" and "Friends, Lovers and Lunatics."
- Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel for RCA in Nashville
- KHAS TV channel 5 in Hastings, NB (NBC) begins broadcasting
- KOSA TV channel 7 in Odessa, TX (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Sudan (Anglo-Egyptian Sudan) declares independence from Egypt and the UK
- WREC (now WREG) TV channel 3 in Memphis, TN (CBS) begins broadcasting
- The Republic of the Sudan achieves independence from the Egyptian Republic and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- A new year event causes panic and stampedes at Yahiko Shrine, Yahiko, central Niigata, Japan, killing at least 124 people.
- The Anglo-Egyptian Condominium ends in Sudan.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1956 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Top #9 songs in the UK
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- Malcolm Vaughan - St Therese Of The Roses
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rip It Up
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
- Bill Hayes - The Ballad Of Davy Crockett
- Frank Sinatra - Love And Marriage
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 1 January 1956 and get them!