Sunday 1 January 1956, NewYear’s Day
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Just Walkin' In The Rain by Johnnie Ray was in the top 5 hits.
All That Heaven Allows, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1956
while Ten North Frederick by John O'Hara was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 1956.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 January 1956!
Which were the important events of 1 January 1956 ?
- Sergei Vasiliyevich Avdeyev Russian cosmonaut (Soyuz TM-15: SK TM-28).
- Anatoli Borisovich: Polonsky in Russia; Lieutenant-Colonel/cosmonaut.
- Koji Yakusho: Japanese actor.
- Beatrice Ganz: Swiss pro astrologer.
- Christine Lagarde: French lawyer and politician, the Minister of Economic Affairs since 2007.
- Sheila McCarthy: Canadian film actress and international star of "I've Heard the Mermaids Singing" and "Friends, Lovers and Lunatics."
- Sergei Avdeyev: Russian engineer and astronaut
- Mark Hughes: American businessman founded Herbalife (d. 2000)
- Mike Mitchell: American basketball player (d. 2011)
- Ziad Rahbani: Lebanese pianist and composer
- Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel for RCA in Nashville
- KHAS TV channel 5 in Hastings, NB (NBC) begins broadcasting
- KOSA TV channel 7 in Odessa, TX (CBS) begins broadcasting
- Sudan (Anglo-Egyptian Sudan) declares independence from Egypt and the UK
- WREC (now WREG) TV channel 3 in Memphis, TN (CBS) begins broadcasting
- The Republic of the Sudan achieves independence from the Egyptian Republic and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- A new year event causes panic and stampedes at Yahiko Shrine, Yahiko, central Niigata, Japan, killing at least 124 people.
- The Anglo-Egyptian Condominium ends in Sudan.
Which were the top hits in that special week of January 1956 ?
Top #3 songs in the USA
Top #9 songs in the UK
- Johnnie Ray - Just Walkin' In The Rain
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
- Frankie Vaughan - The Green Door
- Guy Mitchell - Singing The Blues
- Bill Hayes - The Ballad Of Davy Crockett
- Malcolm Vaughan - St Therese Of The Roses
- Frank Sinatra - Love And Marriage
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rip It Up
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock-A-Beatin' Boogie
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?