Friday 24 June 2011
It was Friday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic).
In that special week of June people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon, directed by Michael Bay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
On TV people were watching Inside Nature's Giants.
If you liked videogames you were probably playing Champion Jockey: G1 Jockey & Gallop Racer or Dead Rising 2: Off the Record.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 24 June 2011!
Which were the important events of 24 June 2011 ?
- Roman Catholic Church - Feast of Saint John the Baptist, patron saint of QuTbec
- Discovery Day in Newfoundland and Labrador (celebrating the 1497 discovery by John Cabot)
- Bannockburn Day in Scotland (see 1314 above)
- Quarter days in England
- Bah�'f Faith - Feast of Rahmat (Mercy) - First day of the sixth month of the Bah�'f Calendar
- Battle of Carabobo Day in Venezuela (1821)
- FOte nationale du QuTbec, also called St-Jean-Baptiste Day
- Day of Indian in Peru
- Original Midsummer's Eve in Finland and Sweden, although the official holiday is now moved to the nearest Friday
- St. John's Day in Estonia and Sao Joao in Porto
- Festival of San Juan observed in Bolivia and Peru
- American Radio Relay League - Field Day 2006
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 24 June
- ''The New York Times'' reports that a cell phone belonging to Osama bin Laden's courier contains contacts with Harakat-ul-Mujahedeen indicating possible ties with Pakistan's intelligence agencies. (''The New York Times'')
- Hillary Clinton, the United States Secretary of State, warns of a possible escalation of the 2011 Syrian uprising as Syrian Army forces mass near the border with Turkey. (Sky)
- Three explosions hit the Myanmar cities of Naypyidaw, Mandalay and Pyin U Lwin. (Reuters)
- Italian Mario Draghi is appointed as the next President of the European Central Bank, replacing Jean-Claude Trichet on November 1. (Reuters via France 24)
- Mudslides isolate 1,200 in Japan's Nagano Prefecture. (Kyodo News)
- Tropical Storm Meari hits the Philippines, leaving 11 people missing and over 40,000 displaced. (Xinhua)
- The Souris River floods to record levels and overflows levee banks in the US town of Minot, North Dakota. (MSNBC)
- At least two people are killed and dozens injured after a tractor-trailer truck collides with the California Zephyr Amtrak train on US Route 95 in Nevada. (Reuters)
- The International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda passes judgement on six suspects in relation to massacres in the former Butare Province including Pauline Nyiramasuhuko, former Minister for Family and Women Affairs with Nyiramasuhuko receiving a life sentence. (CNN)
- United States District Court judge Tanya Walton Pratt halts enforcement of an Indiana state law cutting funding for Planned Parenthood and other organisations that provide abortions. (''Indianapolis Star'')
- Canadian business man Conrad Black is sentenced to another 13 months in jail in the United States for fraud. (''The Globe and Mail'')
- Levi Bellfield is sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of Milly Dowler. (BBC)
- The New York Senate votes to legalise same-sex marriage in New York, assuring passage of the legislation and making New York the largest state to approve such legislation since California reversed its legalization in 2008. (''Washington Post'')
- Applications begin for second chance tickets for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, England. (''The Daily Telegraph'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?