Wednesday 8 June 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Super 8, directed by J.J. Abrams, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 8 June 2011!
Which were the important events of 8 June 2011 ?
- Saint Sabinianus, abbot, confessor [GTZ: Puy]
- World Ocean Day.
- Saint Audomar, bishop of ThTrouanne, confessor (Translation day)
- Saint Elphege, bishop, martyr (Translation day)
- Saint Marius, hermit [GTZ: Clermont]
- Trojecia, virgin (at Rodez)
- Roman Empire - second day of the Vestalia in honor of Vesta.
- Blessed Chlodulph, bishop of Metz
- Blessed Gildard, bishop of Rouen, confessor
- Blessed Maximinus, bishop of Aix en Provence
- Blessed William, bishop of York, confessor
- Blessed Syra of Ireland, virgin
- Syria, virgin (at Troyes)
- saint Medard, bishop of Noyon, confessor [common]
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 08 June
- Libyan civil war:
- NATO aircraft conduct a bombing attack on Muammar Gaddafi's compound in Tripoli. (AFP via News Limited)
- NATO Ministers hold meetings on the Libyan campaign. (Sky News)
- South Korea's Yonhap News agency reports that North Korea has test-fired a KN-06 missile. (Yonhap)
- Syrian residents from the town of Jisr al-Shugur flee from a threatened reprisal from the government of President Bashar al-Assad. (ABC News)
- The Chinese Navy announces that it is building its first aircraft carrier in the city of Dalian to be launched later in 2011. (BBC)
- The ''New York Times'' reports that the United States is intensifying a covert war in Yemen as instability worsens. (''New York Times'')
- Serbian-American author Téa Obreht becomes the youngest author to win the Orange Prize for Fiction for her debut novel ''The Tiger's Wife''. (''The Telegraph'')
- The rate of increase in cases of the 2011 E. coli O104:H4 outbreak that started in Germany appears to be slowing down. (Euronews)
- Hurricane Adrian becomes the first hurricane of the 2011 Pacific hurricane season. (National Hurricane Center)
- Residents in the US towns of Eagar and Springerville, Arizona are ordered to fully evacuate ahead of the Wallow Fire. (''Arizona Republic'')
- 260 miles (420 km) of the Missouri River are closed to boaters as residents of the US states of Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri continue to prepare for heavy flooding, with rain in Montana making the situation worse. (Reuters)
- Floods in the People's Republic of China kill 52 people with 32 people missing with more heavy rain expected. (Xinhua)
- Australia announces a ban of live cattle exports to Indonesia of up to six months following recent reports of cruel treatment in Indonesian abattoirs. (''The Australian'')
- The United Kingdom and France prepare a draft United Nations Security Council resolution on the 2011 Syrian uprising. (BBC)
- In New York, representatives of Morocco and Western Sahara conclude UN-backed talks on resolving the conflict between the two countries without reaching an agreement that was satisfactory to both parties. (Scoop)
- Indian social activist Anna Hazare begins a second hunger strike against corruption. (Al Jazeera)
- The British government has indicated it is rethinking its controversial proposal to offer 50% sentence cuts to criminals in England and Wales who enter early guilty pleas. (BBC)
- Major websites, such as Google, Facebook, and others, participate in World IPv6 Day. (PC World)
- The Russian Federal Space Agency successfully launches a Soyuz TMA-02M carrying a Russian, American and Japanese astronaut towards the International Space Station. (Channel 6 News)
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?