Sunday 26 June 2011
It was Sunday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of June people in US were listening to Rolling In The Deep by Adele.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon, directed by Michael Bay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while Heaven Is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Or have a look at the whole 2011.
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 26 June 2011!
Which were the important events of 26 June 2011 ?
- Saints John and Paul
- The United Nations' Day in Support of Victims of Torture.
- Flag Day in Romania
- Sunthorn Phu Day in Thailand
- Independence Day in Madagascar
- Saint Josemarfa Escriv� (d. 1975)
Famous Birthdays:See famous people born on 26 June
- Arab Spring:
- 2011 Syrian uprising:
- A Syrian military spokesman says more than 400 members of security forces have been killed in the months-long unrest as videos surface allegedly showing children killed in the violence. (CNN)
- French newspaper ''Le Figaro'' reports that Hezbollah has transferred hundreds of missiles from Syria to Lebanon, fearing the fall of the Syrian government in the ongoing Syrian uprising. (''Haaretz'')
- 2011 Libyan civil war:
- Rebels and regime forces clash about 80 km (50 miles) south-west of the capital, Tripoli as rebels make a push towards the capital. (BBC)
- Israeli–Palestinian conflict:
- Following accusations by the Foreign Press Association that Israel is intimidating journalists on the 10-ship flotilla due to sail to the Gaza Strip, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says that the journalists will not to be sanctioned. (''The Jerusalem Post'')
- A bomb causes a large explosion near the United Nations compound in Gaza City on the Gaza Strip. (BBC)
- Vietnamese protesters march in the capital Hanoi for the fourth successive week calling on the People's Republic of China to stop entering Vietnamese territorial waters on the South China Sea. (AP via MSNBC)
- At least 25 people are killed and many others are wounded after a bomb explodes in Maiduguri. (''The Guardian'')
- More than one million people participate in São Paulo's 15th Gay Pride March following the recent improvement in the legal rights afforded to the country's gay community. (BBC)
- It is confirmed that Daniel Craig, the current James Bond, has married the Academy Award-winning actress Rachel Weisz at a private ceremony in the U.S. state of New York. (BBC)
- Beyoncé makes her debut at the Glastonbury Festival, becoming one of only a small number of women to have headlined. (''The Guardian'')
- Christopher Shale, a senior member of British Prime Minister David Cameron's Conservative constituency association, is found dead in a portaloo Shale died hours after a critical strategy document credited to him was published in a Sunday newspaper. (''The Guardian'')
- Eruption of Puyehue-Cordón Caulle in Chile:
- The bodies of six mountaineers are found on Neige Cordier in the French Alps after apparently having been killed by an avalanche. (CNN)
- The so-called ampquotLulzSecampquot hackers have reportedly disbanded after a final data dump including information from AOL Inc. and ATT. (Reuters)
- The Senate of Canada passes a back-to-work bill imposing a labour contract for 48,000 Canada Post employees resulting in a return-to-work by Tuesday. (CBC)
- In association football, Club Atlético River Plate of Argentina are relegated for the first time in their 110-year history. The result enrages River Plate hooligans, who riot inside and outside the stadium at least 35 police and 55 civilians are reported to be injured. (''Associated Press'' via ''USA Today'')
Which were the top hits in that special week of June 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?