Sunday 25 December 1955
It was Sunday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Dwight D. Eisenhower (Republican).
In UK Rock Around The Clock by Bill Haley & His Comets was in the top 5 hits.
All That Heaven Allows, directed by Douglas Sirk, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1955
while The Tontine by Thomas B. Costain was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 25 December 1955!
Which were the important events of 25 December 1955 ?
- Christmas Day is a Christian holiday on this day celebrating the Nativity of Jesus. It is a public holiday in many countries, including almost everywhere in the Americas, most European nations, the Philippines and most of Oceania, some African countries, the Commonwealth of Nations, and various other countries and regions. Many non-Christians, including non-theists, celebrate secular aspects of the holiday, such as decorating Christmas trees and exchanging gifts with family and friends. Some
- Pakistan - Quaid's Day is celebrated as a national holiday in Pakistan in honour of the birth of Mohammad Ali Jinnah.
- British Isles - a quarter day in England, Wales, Northern Ireland, and the Republic of Ireland. (but not in Scotland)
- Roman festivals - (re)birth of Sol Invictus, the winter solstice feast in the Roman Empire since 274.
- Brett Vroman: American basketball player.
- Alannah Myles: Canadian singer.
- Claus Strigel: Director (Obituary for the Automobile, Act of God).
- William Andrews: Actor (Sealed Cargo).
- Cleveland Browns win NFL championship
- Pope Pius XII encyclical on sacred music and popular music.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1955 ?
Top #4 songs in the USA
Top #10 songs in the UK
- Bill Haley & His Comets - Rock Around The Clock
- Dickie Valentine - Christmas Alphabet
- The Four Aces - Love Is A Many Splendored Thing
- Winifred Atwell - Let's Have A Ding Dong
- Max Bygraves - Meet Me On The Corner
- Mambo Italiano - Rosemary Clooney & The Mellomen
- The Finger Of Suspicion - Dickie Valentine With The Stargazers
- No One But You - Billy Eckstine
- Ronnie Hilton - I Still Believe
- Ruby Murray - Heartbeat
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 25 December 1955 and get them!