Wednesday 27 December 1939
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Capricorn. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include John Amos in Newark and Andrew Parker Bowles.
The Hunchback of Notre Dame, directed by William Dieterle, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1939
On TV people were watching NBC News (1940 TV Series).
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Which were the most popular TV series released this week ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 27 December 1939!
Which were the important events of 27 December 1939 ?
- The second day of Christmas in Western Christianity.
- A bank holiday in Britain and elsewhere if 25 December or 26 December falls in the weekend.
- R.C. Saints - John the Apostle and Evangelist
- John Amos in Newark: New Jersey, USA; actor (Good Times, Coming to America).
- Andrew Parker Bowles: British newsfigure as the husband of Camilla Parker Bowles, the mistress of Prince Charles.
- John Amos: American actor.
- 1st American skimobiles (North Conway, NH)
- Between 20,000 and 40,000 die in magnitude 8 quake (Erzincam Turkey)
- Earthquake in Turkey, about 50,000 die
- First American ski-mobiles (North Conway, New Hampshire).
- Erzincan, Turkey is hit by an earthquake, killing 30,000.
- CBS Television begins transmission.
- Kirlian photography is invented by Semyon Kirlian.
- A logging crew sets off a second forest fire in the Tillamook Burn, which destroys .
- Sandia View Academy, a private Adventist school, is founded in Corrales, New Mexico,
- General Motors introduces the Hydra-Matic drive, the first mass-produced, fully automatic transmission, as an option in 1940 model year Oldsmobile automobiles.
Where were your ancestors 100 years before 27 December 1939
Discover their stories. Preserve your legacy.
Our team of professional genealogists provide full-service genealogical research for clients worldwide, helping them discover their roots and personal history through records, narratives, and DNA.
Which were the top hits in that special week of December 1939 ?
Top #1 songs in the USA
- Chatter Box - Kay Kyser & His Orchestra
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?