Wednesday 31 August 2011
It was Wednesday, under the sign of Virgo. The US president was Barack Obama (Democratic). In that special week of August people in US were listening to Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) by Katy Perry.
We Need to Talk About Kevin, directed by Lynne Ramsay, was one of the most viewed movies released in 2011
while The Help by Kathryn Stockett was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 31 August 2011!
Which were the important events of 31 August 2011 ?
- Trinidad and Tobago - Independence Day (from Great Britain, 1962)
- Kyrgyzstan - Independence Day (from USSR, 1991)
- Malaysia - Hari Merdeka, a National Day (independence within the Commonwealth, 1957)
- Moldova: Day of Our Language (Limba Noastra)
- Calendar of Saints - Saint Aidan of Lindisfarne, San Abbondio, Saint Raymond Nonnatus
- Milo Bugliari: American child of noted parents, his mother is actress Alyssa Milano and father is David Bugliari.
- Tripoli doctor Gassem Baruni tells the Associated Press that Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's daughter Hana Moammar Gadafi - thought to have been killed in 1986 US airstrikes - worked for him as a surgeon before she disappeared on August 25. (CBS News)
- Syrian Army troops reportedly raid neighbourhoods in the town of Hama looking for anti-government activists. (''Jerusalem Post'')
- The 68th Venice International Film Festival gets underway in Venice, Italy. (''The Guardian'')
- ExxonMobil and OAO Rosneft reach a deal which may reach $500 billion in projects in the Arctic, Gulf of Mexico, and the Black Sea. (''New York Times'')
- The United States Justice Department files an antitrust lawsuit to prevent ATT from taking over T-Mobile USA. (''Los Angeles Times'')
- Wildfires severely damage homes and infrastructure in the US states of Texas and Oklahoma. (AP via ''Detroit News'')
- Hurricane Katia becomes the second hurricane of the 2011 Atlantic hurricane season. (National Hurricane Center)
- The High Court of Australia rules against plans by the government of Australia to send 800 asylum seekers to Malaysia. (''The Courier-Mail'')
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Which were the top hits in that special week of August 2011 ?
Top #10 songs in the USA
Make this date unforgettable
CD and DVD Birthday Cards
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?
Retro and Vintage gifts
Have a look at retro and vintage objects from 31 August 2011 and get them!
What videogames would you be playing back in the days ?