Thursday 1 July 1943
It was Thursday, under the sign of Cancer. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Marian Glinka and Philip Brunelle.
Stage Door Canteen, directed by Frank Borzage, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1943
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 1 July 1943!
Which were the important events of 1 July 1943 ?
- Canada Day (formerly Dominion Day) - national holiday of Canada. Moving Day in the province of QuTbec
- 1899 - Indiana Jones's birthday.
- In Bulgaria, there is a tradition called July Morning dating from the hippy period in 1980s and maybe as far back as the 1970s. Young (and not so young) people from all over the country travel (often hitchhike) to the Black Sea coast to meet the first sun rays on the 1st of July. Naturally Uriah Heep's July Morning is the main refrain. Although the tradition is linked to the hippy movement in America, it is still popular in Bulgaria. Strangely, it seems that there is no such tradition in other
- Surinam Keti Koti (Breaking of Chains) Day of Liberty; On July 1, 1863 slavery was abolished.
- Memorial Day in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Establishment Day.
- Marian Glinka: Polish actor (d. 2008).
- Philip Brunelle: American conductor and organist.
- Peeter Lepp: Estonian politician 37th Mayor of Tallinn.
- Jeff Wayne: American pianist, keyboardist and composer.
- Auguste Reitsma: Dutch resistance fighter (Census Director), executed.
- C Bakker: Dutch resistance fighter (Census Bureau), executed.
- C L Barentsen: Dutch resistance fighter (Census Bureau), executed.
- Coos Hartogh: Dutch resistance fighter (Census Bureau), executed.
- Cor Roos: Dutch resistance fighter (Census Bureau), executed.
- Henri Halberstadt: Dutch resistance fighter (census dir), executed
- Johan Brouwer: Hispanist / writer / Dutch resistance fighter, executed
- Koen Limperg: Dutch resistance fighter (Census Bureau), executed
- Sam Bloemgarten: Dutch resistance fighter (Census Bureau), executed
- Willem Brouwer: Dutch resistance fighter (Census Bureau), executed
- Willem Arondeus: Dutch homo-erotic writer, art critic, painter and illustrator, who joined the Dutch anti-Nazi resistance movement during World War II and paid for it with his life.
- Pay-as-you-go - 1st withholding tax from paychecks
- Tokyo City merges with Tokyo Prefecture and is dissolved. Since then, no city in Japan has had the name ''Tokyo'' (present-day Tokyo is not officially a city).
- Women's Army Corps (WAC) converted to full status.
Make this date unforgettable
Search For Your Ancestors
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?