Tuesday 6 June 1944
It was Tuesday, under the sign of Gemini. The US president was Franklin D. Roosevelt (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Peter Albin and David Penhaligon.
Days of Glory, directed by Jacques Tourneur, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1944
while Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor was one of the best selling books.
But much more happened that day: find out below..
Which were the most popular TV series released in the last months ?
Which were the most popular movies released in the last 30 days ?
Find out your future
Get a FREE Numerology report based on the digits of 6 June 1944!
Which were the important events of 6 June 1944 ?
- Memorial Day - South Korea.
- Doomsday (weekday)
- Queensland Day.
- National holiday of Sweden.
- D-Day landings - Europe.
- Bonza Bottler Day - USA.
- National Yo-yo Day - USA.
- Peter Albin: San Francisco, California -- Rocker (Big Brother & Holding Co).
- David Penhaligon: British politician (d. 1986).
- Jacques Madubost: .
- Monty Alexander: Jamaican pianist (Clue J & His Blues Blasters).
- Edgar Froese: Russian-German keyboard player and songwriter (Tangerine Dream) (d. 2015).
- Phillip Sharp: American geneticist and biologist Nobel Prize laureate
- Tommie Smith: American runner and football player
- Baseball cancels all games honoring D-Day invasion
- D-Day: 150,000 Allied Expeditionary Force lands in Normandy, France
- Nazi troops executed 96 prisoners by firing squad
- U-955, U-970, U-629, U-373 sink in Gulf of Biskaje
- Alaska Airlines commences operations.
- (about 0630 hours) 300 men of E Company, 2nd Battalion, 8th Infantry, 4th Division, US 1st Army, land at Utah Beach, the first company of the Allies to land. They land a mile south of their target, and encounter little opposition. Twenty-eight of 32 Dual-Drive tanks reach the beach.
- Theodore Roosevelt Jr receives congressional Medal of Honor.
- World War II: Battle of Normandy begins. D-Day, code named Operation Overlord, commences with the landing of 155,000 Allied troops on the beaches of Normandy in France. The allied soldiers quickly break through the Atlantic Wall and push inland in the largest amphibious military operation in history.
Search For Your Ancestors
Make this date unforgettable
Genealogy: find out your family heritage
Which were the most popular books released in the last weeks ?