Thursday 1 May 1919US date format: 5/1/1919, UK date format: 1/5/1919
It was Thursday, under the sign of Taurus (see planets position on May 1, 1919). The US president was Woodrow Wilson (Democratic).
Famous people born on this day include Manna Dey and Alwyn Farquharson.
The Red Lantern, directed by Albert Capellani, was one of the most viewed movies released in 1919
But much more happened that day: find out below..
What the sky looked like on 1 May 1919
Which were the most popular movies released in the last months ?
Find out your future
Which were the important events of 1 May 1919 ?
- Saint James the Less.
- Saint Sigismund of Burgundy.
- Saint Florine
- Saint Augustin Schoeffer
- Saint Theodulf.
- Saint Andeol.
- Czech Republic - "National Love Day" ? couples tend to flock to the memorial of the poet Karel Hynek M�cha in Prague and kiss.
- Festival of Matsu in Taiwan and various locales along the southern coast of China (2005).
- Malta - L-Ewwel ta Mejju, Malta, Jum il-haddiem (Worker's Day).
- United States - Law Day, U.S.A., Loyalty Day.
- Roman Empire - fourth and last day of the Floralia in honour of Flora.
- Roman Empire - all-female festival in honour of Bona Dea.
- Saint Joseph the Worker (also known as Saint Joseph's Day).
- Maharashtra Divas (Maharashtra Day) in the state of Maharastra, India. On May 1, 1960, Maharashtra came into existence when Bombay State was split into the new linguistic states of Maharashtra and Gujarat.
- Beltane, L� Bealtaine, the first day of Summer in modern Ireland was celebrated by the Celts, and is now also celebrated by Neopagans and Wiccans.
- May crowning - Unofficial ritual ceremony usually happening in the Roman Catholic Church.
- Lei Day - Hawaiian holiday for the Lei.
- Saint Jeremiah.
- May Day, Labour Day, Workers' Day, Day of the International Solidarity of Workers.
- Italy - national holiday (Giorno dei Lavoratori).
- Alwyn Farquharson: Scottish clan-captain / large landowner.
- Manna Dey: Indian singer.
- Mohammed Karim Lamrani: Prime Minister of Morocco.
- Lewis Hill: American pacifist and founder of Pacifica Radio (d. 1957).
- Mohammed Lamrani: Moroccan businessman and politician 7th Prime Minister of Morocco.
- Dan O'Herlihy: Irish-American actor (d. 2005).
- Mount Kelud (Indonesia) erupts, boiling crater lake which broke through crater wall killing 5,000 people in 104 small villages.
Planetary positions on this day
Make this date unforgettable
Which were the top hits in that special week of May 1919 ?
Top #2 songs in the USA
- A Good Man is Hard to Find - Marion Harris
- Till We Meet Again - Prince's Orchestra